Lounger
    Thanks

Win XP + InCD (Win XP Pro/Nero 5.5)

Can anyone tell me how to uninstall the existing Roxio-sourced CD-writing software supplied as part of Win XP Pro? (It's not mentioned in "Add and remove programs") I then want to install Nero 5.5 with InCD to enable direct drag-and-drop copying to CDRW disks (using packet writing), without all the Roxio fuss and read-only format. Alternatively, does anyone know of any good alternative software enabling this simple drag-and-drop copying to CDRW?

Grateful for any help

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win XP + InCD (Win XP Pro/Nero 5.5)

I stand to be corrected of course, but if there is a way to remove the integrated CD-burning capabilities in XP, I don't know of it. More precisely, I'm sure that it could be removed if you really wanted to do some surgery - but I think that such tinkering would not be worth the effort.

The good news: you can disable the service that controls this. Drag and drop replacement may come from a vendor at some point but it's not here yet (or if it is it's been quietly lurking). To disable the integrated shell capabilities, you need to disable (or set to manual) the IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service.

Install Nero after doing that and I think you will have a decent solution.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks a lot for your kind help Mark. I've nearly succeeded on the basis of your suggestion. However, after formatting a CD with InCD I now get the error message:

"Error code 0051-0005-0063-0000
    Illegal request error"

And when I try to write to a CDRW I get the message:

"Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows."

It therefore looks as though Windows still does not like the new UDF format produced by InCD. Can you shed any further light?

Many thanks for your help so far in any case.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

That leaves me wondering if it has something to do with the UDF format.

Try this: download IsoBuster and see if you can read the CD that you formatted. IsoBuster bypasses all Windows methods of accessing CDs and can read unrecoverable data as well. If IsoBuster can read the disc, it's Windows that is the problem - or maybe InCD doesn't get along with XP.

Do you know if InCD has been certified XP compatible yet? There are several software packages - Nero and EZCD included - that didn't work so well after XP's release.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

I am using XP PRO and have just installed Nero 5.5.1 using InCD. It came with my new Yamaha CD/RW. It works just great and I didn't have to turn off or change anything in XP to enable it's full features. Of course I bought this drive because the documentation said that it, and the software, were compatible with XP. Hope this helps.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I've finally discovered what the problem was in my case. For some reason InCD will not format Memorex CD-RW disks properly. With Samsung (and presumably other) brands it works perfectly!