New Lounger
    Thanks

Customer par. numbering (2000 - SR1)

Hello, we would like to number paragraphs at 4 digits (no comma desired). We can add a couple of zeros before "01", but at number 0100 we get 00100. How can we set it up so that we get 0100? (Where are those number formatting codes that are in Excel when you need them?)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Customer par. numbering (2000 - SR1)

Hi Arvilla:
    Try using a numeric picture code like:

# "0000"

as in

{ SEQ ID # "0000" * MERGEFORMAT }

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

Hmmm, well if I insert Field, AutoNum with these parameters: SEQ "0001"# "0000"n, that will accomplish it. I guess I'm not as smart about styles as I thought. Can I incorporate this field into my Body Text style and have it update? I guess I could select all paragraphs and do alt-shift-U, but I could I update the AutoNum when I hit enter to go onto the next paragraph?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Arvilla:
    I wasn't sure what you were trying to do. So far as I know, you cannot make a field that contains your own numbering system part of style. i.e. You can't have, say, a heading style that has a seq field as part of its definition. The easiest way to do this is probably to use AutoText to insert seq fields. But that still requires you to place the Autotext entry at the beginning of every paragraph & to update the field.

If I understand you correctly, you want a style similar to, say, a numbered heading style. However, instead of 1, 2, 3, (or I., II, III, IV), you want 0001, 0002, etc. everytime you press <enter>. I would also think that there's a way using VBA to enter a seq field & change the style to your designated style, but I'm not a VBA expert.