New Lounger
    Thanks

Inability to open a file (Office 2000)

A file that I used, saved, closed two days ago would not open yesterday. The message I get is invalid path. Two suggestions appear: check the permissions on the drive or file, and use the Open dialogue box to locate the file. I did not put any restrictions on the file, have used it many times in the last few weeks. I tried to open it as read only, but that didn't work either. I did use the Open dialogue box, located the file, exactly where it had been, still can't open it. I used the find files feature (from the start button) and that file is located only in the exact folder where it has been. There are many other Word documents in that particular folder, and all of them open just fine. Is there anything I can do to 1) Open the file, or 2) recover the contents of the file? (OS is Win98, Office release is 2000) I did not experience any glitches in closing the file, or in closing Word, or in shutting down the system, but now cannot open the file. The file appears in Windows Explorer, too, in the precise folder where I had saved it routinely. Any tips or tricks that might work would be appreciated! (Yes, I have a partial backup, but would hate to lose what I had added.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Inability to open a file (Office 2000)

What happens if you try to open the file from Windows Explorer?

What happens if you rename the file in Windows Explorer and then try to open it, either from Windows Explorer or using the Open dialog box in Word? (Sometimes, an application will let you save a file with a name it considers invalid when opening it)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately double clicking on it in Explorer brought up the same message. I shut down my computer completely. When I rebooted I ran Norton SystemWorks to see if it identified any problems, which it did not. I then rebooted yet again, tried the document and again failed. I also tried renaming it, giving it the .doc extension - no luck.
    Thanks for the quick answer. I may be out of luck, but have hope!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Two more straws to clutch at (although feeble ones, I've never had much luck with them):

In the Open dialog box in Word, select "Recover Text from Any File" as file type and see if you can recover some text.

Open the file with Notepad and see if you can find recognizable text.

Thanks

If you copy it to the root of c: and rename it test.doc, does that help? Trying to rule out weird path and file name issues...

New Lounger
    Thanks

I tried copying the file to C as this suggests. I also tried opening it with Notepad as an earlier post had suggested - had to go to Wordpad, due to the size of the file. I could open it with Wordpad. The first part of the document, as in many pages, have the text from the original document. In the middle of it, though, it switches to machine language, if that is the correct term - all sorts of symbols, little squares, etc. - but that method did allow me to retrieve much of my earlier work. At this point I probably have redundant backup methods going. First I save the file (and don't close it), then I save as, with a different name & close that. Then, before I close my original file, I try to open my backup. If that works, then I go ahead & close everything. I also have the system set - now - to create an automatic backup. Wish I knew what had caused the problem, though. I had copied a table into the file, and had not converted it to text. Perhaps that created the difficulty.

Thanks for the suggestions; they did help me to get back some of my work. This was the first time I had posted a question, and I must say I was most impressed!

Thanks

Yeah, WordPad isn't always current with the latest Word file format, so formatting codes and other gunk is to be expected.

However, I just wanted to confirm that I was suggesting trying to open c:test.doc using Word. If that didn't work, I wonder whether the "invalid path" referred to a template or linked document, or something that Word was trying to open other than the document itself. Hmmm... well, hope it doesn't happen again!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This may help I am not too sure. Do you get an error message like the "Unable to open <documnet> the disk may be full, blah blah blah"? If so the following fixes a problem with corrput embedded objects

Open the document (you may need to copy to the C drive) and use CTL A to select all is contents
    Press F9 to update all fields, click OK when prompted to update the TOC
    CTL F and enter Error! in the Find field
    Use Find Next to establish if you have more than one Error!
    CTL Z to undo the update field
    The corrupt embedded object is shown instead of the Error! message
    Either cut the object and Paste Special as a picture or edit the object apply the changes and save the document.
    Repeat the process for each Error!

New Lounger
    Thanks

I couldn't get the file to open at all in Word, and it was a Word Document. The message I got was that the path was invalid - suggestions with the error message were to check the permissions on the file (I had assigned none), or to use the File Open dialogue box to locate the file. The file was on the drive & in the folder which the error indicated was invalid. (I can see it there in Windows Explorer) I have now saved it with a different name so that I can try various things on it, so still have the file. It does sound as if there was some sort of problem with the embedded table, but without opening the file, I don't know how I could strip it of the errors. (I can tell you I am backing up, and re-backing up now as I try to recreate what I had! )