New Lounger
    Thanks

upgrade win98 to 98se

Have compaq Pesario 5660. want to save all files and update to 98se.....

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: upgrade win98 to 98se

If you have an upgrade CD for 98SE, you can simply install right over the top of your existing Win98 installation.

Most of what is included in 98SE can be downloaded - IE 5 and Internet Connection Sharing are the two biggies that come to mind.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately Compaq system will not allow that to happen. I have Ms original 98se update disk. Compaq system will not let me update. Says to go to Compaq and get their disk.......

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Are there any error messages that come up when you attempt to upgrade with the disk?

The alternative, if they've implemented some sort of a software block in place, is to back up your data manually and then format the hard drive. I've never encountered a PC that would not allow me to install Windows on a clean hard drive. The biggest chore would be the actual data backup - without a CD-RW drive or some other means of mass storage, it would be difficult.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

By the way thank you for your prompt reply. Compaq has setup their systems so that you have to go to them for everything. When upgrading they make it so that you have to purchase their upgrade disks. There once was a time (long ago lol) when I knew the special entries you had to do to make an upgrade work. You won't get it from Compaq's web site unfortunately. Again thank you for your help....Mike C...Houston