Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upsizing Wizard 'Overflow' error (Ac2000 SR1)

When I attempted to use the Access Upsizing Wizard to convert an Ac2000 MDB to an SQL-Server db, the wizard failed (after I specified the names of the server and new database) with a curt dialog that said 'Overflow' and an OK button. ("No, it's *not* OK...") It's always worked for me before (with MSDE) but this time the server was full-blown SQL Server 2000 (as part of SBS) at a customer's site. This meant I had a workaround: create an empty new DB on the server using SQL Server's management tools, then create an ADP on a client that pointed to the new blank DB. I then dragged-and-dropped the tables from the old MDB (which hopefully does the same conversion job as the wizard, but no doubt doesn't do it quite the same, leaving some gotchas to catch me in 2 months' time).

But why did the wizard fail (repeatedly, on several PCs)? It really freaked me out for a while.

James

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Upsizing Wizard 'Overflow' error (Ac2000 SR1)

It's not a problem I've seen, but is probably something to do with a structure or index that causes the Upsizing Wizard to tank. The wizard does seem somewhat flakey however. Several times I've had it fail to convert one or more tables with no explanation as to what it didn't like. There are some other options in addition to the one you used. You can actually import data into SQL Server from Access. You have to jump through some hoops if you have security on your Access database, but aside from that it seems to work reasonably well. It does not transfer indexes however, so you have to do that on your own. I guess this more comiseration than anything else, but maybe it will be useful to others.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Now I think about it, it was failing when I was trying to create an empty ADP, so it wasn't a problem with any existing MDB. Fortunately it worked when making an ADP from the existing SQL Server db. Oy.

Thanks for the tip about importing on the server side.

BTW, the app which connects to SQL Server by DAO linked tables works a treat (so far), and is screamingly fast. Thanks for your help on that.

James

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Well, today I got the overflow error trying to use the Access 2000 upsizing tool. A MS knowledge base search ensued, and I found this article (Q272384) which tells you that you need to download an update for A2k SR1 in order to upsize to SQL Server 2000. I just hadn't bumped into this, as I run AXP on my primary work system, and haven't done an upsize to any of our A2k clients that had upgraded to SQL 2000 until today. Sorry I wasn't able to share this with you a few days ago!
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that. The article also explains the blank-password problem I had, which cost me a day... Why do I never think of the knowledge base when I'm panicking? [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

James

Star Lounger
    Thanks

... what the kb article doesn't make clear is whether, after applying the patch, one can still use the upsizing wizard with SQL Server 7/MSDE, as well as with SQL-S 2000. Since it's not uninstallable, it'd be nice to be sure before I paint myself into a corner. Can you confirm?

James

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you install SQL Server on a machine, you replace MSDE ... at least, that's what it's done on all my machines. SQl Server 2000 allows multiple servers, but I did NOT like the results when I tried to keep SS7 and SS2000 on the same workstation. What are you trying to do?
    Charlotte

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I frankly don't know - I would suspect it probably will, but I would try it carefully. As to the uninstall, I think you may be able to reverse the process by simply renaming the old Wizard databases you previously renamed, but don't bet you house on it! As to running multiple versions as Charlotte indicated she had tried, don't. They really don't coexist very well - you basically have to run a task to switch from one mode to the other, and then run it again to switch back. We've done it a couple of times for short periods, but only that.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have MSDE on my main PC (a laptop) for development purposes, but I also connect it to clients' networks, which may have SQL-S 2000 (as indeed was the case when I hit the 'overflow' problem last week). I suspect the best thing to do, until I upgrade to Ac2002 and/or SQL Server 2000 Dev Ed, will be to leave well alone and only upgrade other PCs if I need to use the upsizing wizard with SQL Server 2000 elsewhere.

I'm not intending to have MSDE *and* SQL Server 2000 on the same machine.

James

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that - please see also my reply to Charlotte.

James