New Lounger
    Thanks

Opening multiple files (Word 2000)

Hope that someone out there can shed a light on this problem. The problem that I'm having is when I try to open multiple Word documents simultaneously, or any of the Office application files, not all of the selected files open up and the program hangs. At best, the files open but with an extra window that looks like a template of Word (depending on the application I'm using at the time). Most of the time, I get an error saying:

"Word encountered file corruption while opening Cocuments and settings ... Normal.dot. Part of this document may be recoverable. Attempt recovery now?"

When I check the Event Viewer, these are the log entries that I get:

"Hanging application WINWORD.EXE, version 9.0.0.3822, hang module hangapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000."

This problem only occurs when I try to open multiple files simultaneously and involving Office applications only.

I am using Win XP (HE) with Office 2000 (Prem) version 9.0.3821(SR-1). My computer has an Athlon XP 1600 and 2x128 MB RAM. I had tried formatting and re-installing the OS and MS Office, even with different versions of MS Office (2000 & XP) and Win XP Pro; replaced the Normal.dot file from another machine; and tested the RAM by using only one of the 128 RAM modules. It did not fix the problem. I searched the internet and MS support site, but came up empty.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Many thanks.

Rick.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Opening multiple files (Word 2000)

Van Swearingen,

Thanks for your replies. Here are the answers to your questions, if they are still applicable:

The error occurs when I tried to open 2 or more docunments simultaneously ( I tried up to 7); one at a time is OK.

The documents are just files of text that I created on various computers and are saved on floppy. The error occurs even on the files that I created on my machine.

This behaviour occurred from the start; my computer is brand new.

I have tried deleting and renaming the Normal.dot file, but with no results. This error is not confined to Word alone. The error occurs in Excel and PPoint also.

Here's an interesting thing, after I posted the message, I decided to format the HDD and installed Win2K and Word2K. This combination worked perfectly. I suppose I can use this combo, but I hate the fact that I paid for the WinXP and is not compatible with Office2K or OfficeXP. There isn't some code in WinXP that can detect copied software, is there? Actually, a friend of mine has tried it with a legal copy of OfficeXP but he suffers from the same problem as well.

Anyway, if you have anymore suggestions I'll be glad to here it. But after reading your second email, it seems that there is not a solution for my set up. Thanks again.

Rick.