3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

weird networking problem...

this post disappeared and i don't know why. i found that i had an email saying that wylly wylly had replied but i can't find the post anywhere, so here it is again...

okay, i have an old box with nt 4 server on it. everything seems to be running fine on it. i have another box with win2k pro on it. everything seems to be running fine on it. i have 2 nic's in the w2k pro box. 1 for connecting to this nt 4 server and one for connecting to my work LAN. the nic that connects to the nt 4 server has a static ip (in the 10.x.x.x range) and the nic that connects to my work LAN is in a totally different range (176.x.x.x). the nt 4 server and my w2k pro box are connected via a cross over cable. all is fine with the networking on my box using the nic connected to my work LAN. there is no ip forwarding turned on so the 2 nic's should not be forwarding packets to each other.

all seems fine with the networking on my box using the 2nd nic that connects to the nt 4 server. i can ping it's ip address. i haven't tested to see if i can map drives or get to any shares on the nt 4 server. what's weird is that i tried to port scan my nt 4 server from my w2k pro machine and it seems to scan endlessly and never finds an open port. there is no firewall or AV running on the nt 4 server. it is a basic install with IIS installed and running (ftp, www, gopher), that's it. any ideas on what is causing the port scan to come up blank? could it have anything to do with how i have the 2 boxes connected, via cross over cable instead of through a hub? let me know what you think. thx.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: weird networking problem...

The post most likely disappeared due to the data file corruption that occurred in the Lounge (see Words From on High for details).

I'll try to reconstruct what I posted earlier best I can.

First, I need to see if I understand what the scenario is. Your NT box has NIC A, and it's the only one in the system. The Win2K box has NIC B and NIC C in a multihomed configuration. NIC A and NIC B are connected via CAT-5 crossover cable. You can ping NIC A from the system containing NICs B and C.

Are the NICs in the NT box and the one cabled to it in the Win2K box both in the same subnet mask and IP range? Can you do a TRACERT or PINGPATH from the Win2K box and resolve the IP addresses?

If you enter NBTSTAT -c at a command prompt, do you see anything in the cache?

Anything in your HOSTS file on either machine?

What is it that you expect to see in the port scan, and what are you using to scan the ports? Create a test HTM file on the system running IIS, and see if you can open it on the other machine using HTTP://machinename/filename - I prefer creating a simple text file and naming it DEFAULT.HTM for this purpose.

Regarding the hub, it's the same basic effect as a crossover cable, except that it's a one-to-many configuration. It's possible that it would have something to do with it but I doubt it.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ok, here goes....

it sounds like you have the config right for the two boxes, except that the w2k box with 2 nic's isn't acting as a multihomed station, at least i hope not. :-) nic a on the nt server has an ip of 10.0.0.1 and subnet of 255.0.0.0. nic b (lan nic) has an ip in the range 172.16.x.x and subnet of 255.255.0.0. nic c (connected to the nt server by a cross over cable) has an ip of 10.0.0.200 and subnet 255.0.0.0.

i can ping nic a from the w2k box. i'm unsure which nic it is using, but if i disable nic b and then try i can ping it from nic c to nic a. i can't disable nic c and try to ping it. that would kill the connection to the server. i can traceroute it and it does resolve the ip address/hostname.

doing an nbtstat -c does not display the nt server's ip address and host name. it's nowhere to be found in the cache information displayed.

hosts and lmhosts files are empty on both boxes.

in the port scan i expect to see port 21 (or 23, whichever is ftp...can't remember), port 80, and port 139 at least as these services are running. i've never used iis before so i'll have to figure out where to put the default file, but that would be a good way of testing it out. i just tried the following command and it came back as having compelted successfully:

net use 10.0.0.1ipc$ "" /u:""

this tells me that port 139 is working. i was also able to dump info over that connection via dumpsec so i know that it's working but my port scans come up blank. i hope this information helps you help me. :-)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Sounds like the communication is there, but perhaps the tool you're using to do port scans is not working properly. You didn't specify how you are scanning for open ports - using NETSTAT, the built in tool, or something entirely different?

You may want to try this tool out: TCPView from SysInternals. It's a very nice GUI representation of your port activity - and it's free.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

mark, you may be right. but it doesn't seem to matter what scanner i'm using. i've tried super scanner, languard network scanner, and nmapnt so far. none of them have worked right. what i'm trying to do is scan the server to see what ports are open and listening. that's all i'm trying to find out. it's turning into quite a pain. i'm beginning to think that the easiest thing to do would be to get one more pc, install nt or 2k on it and connect it directly to the nt server, removing my 2k work box from the picture entirely. i think that having 2 nic's in the box is what's really causing the problems...