New Lounger
    Thanks

Finding out what graphics are inserted?

Hi all,

I have inherited a document that is 400+ pages long with many figures (screen shots, etc). There are about 150 .BMP files in the same directory - many are well named, but I've got quite a few called "diag1.bmp", "diag2.bmp" and so on.

What I want to do is find out (ie get a list) of what graphic is inserted into what page.

My guess is that they were all inserted into the document using:

" Insert | Picture | From File ..."

They are not inserted as links, so I have a feeling I may be out of luck here. Once a graphic is in-line there seems to be no knowledge of where it came from. Can someone confirm this, or point me in the right direction? I'm hoping to be able to divide the document into chapters, keeping the right graphics with the right chapter documents, etc.

Thanks in advance,
    Margaret Hassall

Thanks

Re: Finding out what graphics are inserted?

Hi Margaret,

AFAIK, you are right about inserted graphics just becoming a part of the document (losing any relationship they might have to the orginal graphic). You don't say which version of Word you're using so I don't know if the following will apply but...

You could try saving it to a different directory as an HTML page. If it is in Word 2000, you could then cut the web page into the parts you want and convert back to Word format. If you are not using Word 2000, at least you will have graphics that are identified by name in the HTML.

Hope this helps.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion - I'm using Word 2000 (at work I use 2000 but I'm more used to 97 at home).

I tried saving as HTML. This did give me lots of information but not exactly what I want. For example, one of the graphics is a warning symbol and is used many times - the HTML save saved this as a new graphic each time it was used.

I think I'll try and print out each file as a thumbnail - will be an interesting exercise for me.

One thing that I found interesting with the HTML save, though, is that some graphics are saved as GIFs, some as JPGs and some as .PNG files. Originally, the graphics were bitmaps (.BMP) and .JPG. Does anyone know why this would happen?

Thanks for all your help,
    Margaret Hassall

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The export formats are probably related to the colour depth of each graphic and could be described as Word "getting smart". You wouldn't get them out as BMPs again because that format would not work in HTML.

Perhaps the GIFs were the graphics with an 8bit or less palette, the PNGs were originally BMPs with 16 or 24 bits of colour and the JPGs were originally JPG.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

That rings true - there was a collection of icons, screen shots, line drawings, and a mixture of colour and black and white.

This is more curiosity value now, but the .PNGs are all "extras" - that is, that particular graphic is also saved as a .JPG by Word HTML. Any comments?

Thanks,
    Margaret Hassall

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I don't know why but I would suspect it is associated with the programmers trying to get the graphic out in a size the same as Word had it stored. PNGs are scalable whereas a JPG (usually) is shown at 100% size in HTML and therefore its size is determined by its pixel count and the resolution of the screen. All MS Office products irreversably harm graphics placed into them when trying to extract the image for a different use. Image resolution is never as good coming out of Word as going into Word. Perhaps the programmers were trying to do something about that - we can only hope.

The moral of the story is to use the originals at every opportunity. Reusing the graphics that Word saved out will give you a poor result. If you don't still have the originals then you can make do but the finished product will be considerably less than optimal.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure of your problem (oh, it's HIM again) but I have two separate chunks of code that might help.

Chunk1: For the past year I've been accumulating a procedure called RemoveAllGraphics that is getting pretty damn good at detecting every way that Word97 puts a graphic image in my documents. I frequently want just the text in order to do text analysis. This VBA code would let you VISIT each graphic.

Chunk2: I have a pair of codes that tokenise/detokenise tables. Aim was to identify each table in a document and move it out to a uniquely-named file and place a token in the original document. I could then do text-analysis on the document, and finally bring the table back in, replacing the token.

let me know if either of these chunks sound useful and I'll set up a simple template holding them.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Chris,

At risk of sounding predictable (I have a feeling I'm going to be posting a lot of responses to you like this) - I'd be quite interested in looking at these two 'chunks', the one relating to graphics in particular.

I'm sure there are lots of other folks here who would be too.

Thanks,
    Gary

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

OK. Late tonight, I promise, I'll post my delete-all-those-damn-graphics code. I'll invite people to test it, because I feel sure that harold at Microsoft has written a graphic doo-dad that I've not fallen over yet.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Posting the code in the VBA forum with a subject leader of "Code"" as suggested by Eileen