Lounger
    Thanks

Peer-to-peer authentication

I'm running a home network with a Win2k box and a Win98 box. I want to share the printer and some drive-space on the Win2k box with the Win98 box. It works - kind of.

I'm using my preferred userid (sraun). When I use Windows Logon to sign on to the Win98 box, and enter the same password that I use on the Win2k box, I can connect, share files, print, etc.

When my SO attempts this with their preferred userid (17 characters long!), they can't get at any services on the Win2k box - a dialog box comes up 'unable to access machineIPC (maybe $IPC or IPC$), password required'. They have an account on the Win2k box that matches the Win98 box, the two boxes are in the same workgroup, the password is the same on each box.

My guess is that less than 17 characters of userid are getting sent by the Win98 box, and so it isn't matching up. Anyone have any idea if I'm right? And if so, how many characters are being passed?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Peer-to-peer authentication

I know this reply is a little late, but if it still concerns you:

I think that the userid cannot be longer than 15 characters in a peer-to-peer network that's not using TCP/IP.