Lounger
    Thanks

Bullet changes when indent increased (Word 2000/SR-1)

Style List Bullet now seems to have various levels of bullets -- I used to increase or decrease the indent and the bullet assigned to this style would stay, it would just indent more or less. Now if I increase indent, the bullet changes to a small o in courier font and the indent moves much further right than it should. If I recopy the style from my template, I can usually indent and the bullet will stay the same, but all paragraphs with this style indent and the style changes to reflect the indent. I never automatically update styles and this style is not marked to automatically update.

I've tried resetting my bullets and numbering to the default, but it hasn't helped. Don't know what else to do. I've had to resort to manually moving the tab and indent in this one document . I've also used another template that never had problems, but this problem also exists there now.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Nancy Potter

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Most likely autoformatting

Nancy

It sounds like you have allowed word to apply autoformatting for you. Have a look at the options in your Autoformat as you Type dialog. You should be able to find it under the Tools Menu. In Word 2002 its called Autocorrect Options but I think it wore a different hat in Word 2000.

Phil Rabichow has provided more useful details in this thread although this topic comes up often so a search through this forum will give you lots of hits.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Most likely autoformatting

I checked and I don't have any autoformatting on. I was working on documents that had been handled by many others and was pouring their text into my template, then reapplying the styles from my template. I ended up changing their List Bullet text to a style I called XX that had nothing to do with List Bullet, then putting their text in my template and changing Style XX back to List Bullet. Seems to have worked for now anyway. I figured I was bringing some bad stuff with the text and I needed to try to sanitize it (I had previously saved off their document as .rtf but that didn't work.

Thanks -- Nancy

Super Moderator
    Thanks

List levels changing

It sounds like your list levels were being overrun by a different definition in the text you were importing. Saving out to RTF doesn't remove these list definitions unless you then open and resave the file with Word 95 or earlier versions that didn't support more than 2 list level streams.

You would have expected reapplying the template would fix it but list definitions are finicky and it is always good to have a macro that resets the lists to the way you want them. If you need further info on this, post back and I will describe how to do this.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bullet changes when indent increased (Word 2000/SR-1)

This bothers me no end as well! I found the 'why' on freeanswers.com, a fantastic site that links you to Microsoft's own answers site, but finds answers much more easily. Below is the why, and the solution is such a pain, it's about not worth it. Instead, I just go into Format/bullets&numbering, and change the style of the bullet back. Once you do that in one list, it will keep your format for the rest of the list. You can paint format from then on.
    from Microsoft's web site: (Q210173)
    CAUSE
    This functionality is by design in Word 2000 and is a change from earlier versions of Word. All numbered or bulleted lists are, by default, Outline Numbered lists, regardless of the method you use to number or bullet the list. [note from me: WHY??!?]
    If you indent the entire list, the numbers or bullets remain as you would expect; however, if you indent part of the list, then those items indented change to the next level of numbering or bullets.
    RESOLUTION
    To indent part of a numbered or bulleted list, select the part of the list you want to indent. Then, on the Format menu, click Paragraph . On the Indents and Spacing tab, under Indentation , change Left to how far you want to indent the selected part of the list, and then click OK .

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks for posting the link to this article - surprised to have not heard of that article sooner since it contains a pretty jaw-dropping statement.

When I test this on a new document in Word 2000, it does work as this article reports, BUT I know we have templates at work that use some simple numbering styles, and the numbering style 'sticks' no matter how much it's indented - will have to try to look at that and figure out why when I get back next week.

Another confusing thing about the statement that all numbering is by default outline numbering is: why are there still separate tabs for Bulletted and Numbered lists (in the Bullets & Numbering dialog) if they no longer have a function that's different from outline numbering - I'm scratching my head on this one....

One potential drawback to the workaround you're using is that it probably is adding a list template to the document, each time you do it. This may not matter if not done too many times in a document, but done often enough and those list templates might start to get out of control.

Gary

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: List levels changing

Thanks, I'd love to know. I need to learn how to write macros, but haven't gotten beyond "recording" and I know that's not the best way to go. Others in my group are having the same type of problem and none of us know how to write macros.

Nancy

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: List levels changing

Attached is a template that contains the styles and macros to create multi-level lists of various persuasions. If you have a look at the code, you will be able to work out how to modify the list to match your own preferences. If these are incorporated into your template, you will find that attaching the template and running the relevant macro will fix all occurrences of that list style throughout the document.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lounger
    Thanks

What I really like is that Microsoft has given you levels of bullets you can't do anything about -- I have a style with mixed bullets and I can choose my own bullets.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Nancy:

I'm a little late on this thread, but you can easily change your indentation without changing the format of your bullets or numbering, despite what Microsoft has said.

There are 2 paris of commands (4 total) that seem the same, but are operate differently. They are:

1. Indent, Unident
    2. IncreaseIndent, DecreaseIndent

The last two not only change the indentation, but invoke the commands OutlineDemote & OutlinePromote. That is why using them will change your bullet or numbering formatting.

If you use the first pair, you can indent all or part of your list without the format changing. You can do this easily by pressing:

Ctrl+M to Indent
    Ctrl+Shift+M to Unindent

Cheers,

Lounger
    Thanks

This is great info. Tried it and it works.

Nancy