Lounger
    Thanks

CD Disappearing after Fresh Install

Trying to be a Guru because I've solved a few minor problems, a friend dropped this one on me. He lost his CD Rom on a Win95 machine. I guessed that he probably lost his drivers so I volunteered to take a look. I Fdisked and reformatted his hard drive with a Win95 boot disk but it didn't let me setup Win95 or install it. Couldn't get to D: directory. So I decided let's boot it with a Win98 boot disk which worked just fine and I was able to Setup and install Win95 from the CD Rom. After restart however the CD once again doesn't show up in My Computer. I'm, thinking that I'll just start over and itry installing Win98 and see if that works but as it's my copy I'd rather not. In system devices I do have the yellow exclamation marks on 3 controllers so it still seems to be a driver problem. Any ideas. It's a Pentium 200 machine. Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CD Disappearing after Fresh Install

If it's an older system, it's possible that the 32-bit drivers that ship with Windows cannot access the drive. You can force the real-mode (DOS) drivers to load by adding them to CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT.

Check the system's BIOS and see if it detects the CD-ROM drive.

What are the controllers that list exclamation marks? You may wish to remove the devices and let Windows re-detect them on a reboot. At the very worst you'll have the same problem, and at best it will fix it.
    -Mark

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Usual advice for driver problems would be to get the most recent ones from the device manufacturer, but not in this case. Is the CD drive new or is this a new problem with an old drive? Is there any chance of trying the drive in another system, or a new drive in the place of the troublesome one? Is there any chance of upgrading to a better O/S than '95? - That's just a personal bias!

Addressing the flagged driver problems is the obvious starting point.
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have run into this problem dozens of times. It IS the CD driver. You need to go somewhere like driversguide.com and search for the Win95 driver for that make and model of CD. OR If you let us know what it is, I will see if I have it in my pile O drivers.