Star Lounger
    Thanks

Linking to a remote databse (2000/SR-1)

I have a two-tier database, a frontend containing queries, reports, forms, etc. and a backend containing the data. The data resides on a server (Win 98 SE) with a share created using the "Full access".

If I place a password on the shared folder and I attempt display a form using the ToolsStartup option, I receive an error telling me that the database is being used exclusively by another. Once I remove the password on the shared folder, the database works properly. I have shared the database in ToolsOptions.

Any suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Linking to a remote databse (2000/SR-1)

What was your reason for putting a password on the folder? If you want to restrict access to the database, use Access security or password the database itself.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Certain viruses can detect shared folders and infect other computers if they are not password protected. Placing a password on the shared folder helps prevent viruses from being passed through the local network. I use it to protect my resources.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's a problem that has nothing to do with Access. Password protecting the folder inteferes with opening the database. Why don't you just restrict permissions to the folder?

Wait a minute! I just looked back and noticed you said your *server* was Win98 SE!! Is this a peer-to-peer network by any chance? That's a whole 'nother creature than a true network.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yep, peer-to-peer. That's the rub. I was hoping MS would have had some way to access a shared folder with a password, but just can't find anything.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just a thought, but I'm sure that sometime ago our network was setup that way and Access behaved ok.
    It might be worth using explorer to try and create a file in the share just to prove that it is set up correctly for read/write/create

HTH

Peter

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are you using stored network connections that are recreated each time you boot your workstation PCs? I believe that should solve your problem, especially if you configure the network settings so that connections are restored on login, rather than waiting until you need the connection to establish it. You probably also want the workstations to remember the password. Hope this approach helps.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ahhh, this seems to have fixed the problem. As soon as I set up a persistent connection, the problem was resolved. But now I am still left with the problem I was trying to overcome -- virus prevention. But that's a topic left to another discussion group.

Thanks to everyone that provided input. I appreciate it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I presume you are concerned about the situation where a connected workstation receives a virus via email or some such medium, and the virus is one of those that feasts on network connections. Unfortunately, databases tend to be open for long periods of time, so even if you open a connection using a password, then start the database (or alternatively, dynamically connect the tables having opened the connection), for the period of time that the database is open, you are exposed to virus activity. Probably the best defense is a good anti-virus program that is updated regularly.
    Wendell