Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Formatting new style (Word2K 9.0.3821 SR-1)

I created a new style in my document--called it ChartBullet1. In the instance where I created this style, the previous paragraph is "ChartText1," another new style (character, not paragraph) I'd created. Anyway, I want to modify ChartBullet1 style. Oddly (to me), the style window on the toolbar displays, not ChartBullet1, but ChartText1, and when I get into the Format>Style window, there's a little black triangle (arrow?) beside BOTH ChartBullet1 and ChartText1. It tells me that ChartBullet1 is "based on" the List Bullet 3 style, for what that's worth.

Can someone tell me why the Style window will display only ChartText1 and not ChartBullet1, no matter what? I can open the list of styles and select ChartBullet1, but the style name that displays is ChartText1! What silly / stupid mistake did I make to cause this situation? (As you might surmise, I'm still trying to learn the nuances of style formatting!)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Formatting new style (Word2K 9.0.3821 SR-1)

The style window is capable of displaying only one style at a time, but Word text always uses TWO styles at a time. Both a paragraph style and a character style are assigned to all text; if the character style is the "Default Paragraph Style", the style window displays the name of the paragraph style; otherwise, the character style's name appears in the style window. As far as I know, there is no way to control this behavior.

As a work-around, I generally work in "normal" view mode and have activated a "style area width" of 1inch (on the bottom of the page in Tools | Options | View). With this view, I can always see the paragraph style name next to each paragraph (regardless of what shows in the style window).

Hope this helps!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Well, at least now I understand the behavior. I might not quite appreciate the thought patterns behind the behavior, but I can take comfort knowing there's probably nothing wrong with the application. Thanks!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Lucas:
    Just for your information, in addition to what Hubert has told you, if you select the paragraph mark, you should see the paragraph style in the stylebox.

I'm assuming that you have applied a character style (ChartText1) to text within the ChartBullet1 paragraph style. If selecting the paragraph mark still shows the same character style, press Ctrl+Spacebar while it's selected. Then you'll see the paragraph style.