New Lounger
    Thanks

Can I use an AOL connection to send mail from OE? (6)

Hi all,

Our T1 here at the office is down (again) and the boss is wondering if he can use his AOL connection to send email from his non-AOL address. Is this possible? I want to say that it's not, but another coworker swears that she can do it (but of course she "doesn't know exactly how"). Can anyone provide some insight here?

Any and all responses appreciated.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can I use an AOL connection to send mail from OE? (6)

the connection, possibly. using AOL software, no.

it depends on his other email server - if it's an isp, probably not. for yahoo and hotmail types, yes.

you need to set OE up to use the AOL connection and if the other mail server allows the connection, that all you need.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Our SMTP server is with an isp. I guess that's the problem. When I use my modem instead of the T1 I have to change the SMTP server to mail.earthlink.net...I suppose what I'm asking is if AOL has an SMTP server that one can use when connected to AOL, to send email from OE using a non-AOL address. Hope that makes sense.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

AOL doesn't have a smtp server you could use, that i'm aware of.

What OS are you using? Winxp pro has a smtp server and as long as AOL isn't blocking port 25, you can use it to send mail. Bets are that AOL blocks it... but it's worth looking into.

Thanks

Have no idea whether this is true:

"As of AOL version 6.0 ... It doesn't matter what SMTP server you have your email program set to use; while you're dialed in using AOL, all SMTP requests are answered by AOL's own SMTP server."

http://www.uic.edu/depts/accc/ecomm/.../isps.html#AOL