New Lounger
    Thanks

word xp file craziness (xp)

Office XP on 2K Server, Citrix XPa.
    300 users on 40 terminals.
    Nothing fancy in the setup at all. Simple basic stuff.
    Word = 10.2627.2625
    Random users from random terminals are having their word files start corrupting. Really bizarre.
    Document starts reformating itself into bizarre boxes, font changes, pagination changes etc.
    There may be floppy drives involved, but no pattern as to terminal, user, or time of day.

Ran an RTFM/SFTW on the normal sources - saw some stuff on Word97 and normal.dot corruptions but they don't seem to apply to this.

Any thoughts or nudges in the right direction would result in mass genuflections in your general geographic direction.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: word xp file craziness (xp)

No answer but just to note that you are not alone: there have been a few similar posts here over the past several months (although I believe all of the previous ones have been using Word 2000). One was occurring on a standalone machine, one on a network, and a couple (including my firm) running WTS via Citrix.

Things that have somewhat reduced incidence of this (but not eliminated it entirely): replace Normal.dots, if you have migrated from an earlier version of Word, make sure that your documents have compatibility set to Word 2002. Similarly, if you have migrated custom templates from an earlier version of Word, make sure compatibility is set to the current version.

I think our desktop support people have an ongoing call open with MS on this, but haven't heard of any definitive cause nor solution.

Gary

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Scary stuff headed down the pike. Hope you guys find a solution before it hits my office -- we're going to XP from 97 in the Autumn. Guess I have my winter "cabin fever" projects planned for me...

New Lounger
    Thanks

I wonder if this is related to video cards on the HOST of the citrix client.
    I just recreated the entire scenario. On my laptop it is fine; put the same file over on a POS and do some scrolling around in the doc, and pooof! corrupted. Corrupts the tmp file also as a recovery of the doc has the corruption in it. This time I had Word XP tell me it had to close. Gees!