Thread: Page Borders

billanthony

Page Borders

I want to add page borders to the first page of each section. Sections are set to start on odd pages. When the previous section ends on an even number, there's no problem. But if the previous section ends on an odd number, the border won't show. Any suggestions?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Page Borders

Hi. You don't mention what version of Word you're using.[img]/w3timages/icons/nope.gif[/img]

Go to File / Page Setup. On the Layout tab, mark Different First Page and change to Whole Document. Go into the first page header and insert your page border.

If that's what you have done, then I'm clueless.[img]/w3timages/icons/yikes.gif[/img]
    Karen

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2000. I get the same result. If you put in odd page section breaks & then go to page setup & select, "this section-first page only" & then put in a page border, it only shows up when the previous section ends in an even number.

Odd. I'll see what I can find on the KB.

billanthony

No soap.

I'm using Word 2000, but I can't determine the exact version because I find no "About Microsoft Word" in the Help menu. Is this significant?

I created a new document to reproduce this problem. I found that, although I had set the Page Setup as you describe, after I inserted my new section, Word changed "Apply To" to "This Section" and would not let me change it back to "Whole Document." The plot thickens.

Thanks for your help!!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK -- I'm on Word 2K, SR1(a).

I don't know if it's significant that "About Microsoft Word" is non-existent... it may be a function of the collapsing menus.[img]/w3timages/icons/sick.gif[/img]

To create from scratch isn't bad; for an existing file, working from the back of the document forward, remove all page borders. Use print layout or print preview to verify they are no longer in existence.

Then again, working from the back to the front select File / Page Setup /Layout. First change the "Apply To" to Whole Document, then mark Different first page.

In an existing document, you are going to have to visit the first page of each section, and then select Format / Borders and Shading / Page Border. Select your desired border and apply to This Section -- First page only. [img]/w3timages/icons/sad.gif[/img] Sadly, this will need to be done for each existing first section page.

Additional sections should not give you difficulty.

Good luck and HTH.
    Karen

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Karen:

I tried doing this when Bill first asked the question. I get the same result that he gets. In other words, trying to apply the border to the first page only of a section doesn't always work. It depends whether the previous section ended in an odd or even page. I'd say it's a bug, but I'll try to look further.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry Phil... My response on second reading didn't clearly explain. Please forgive me in rushing through the previous post.[img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img]

I created a document using 2K's easter egg (previously explained in this post for those who haven't yet been enlightened) of 25 paragraphs of 25 sentences, double spaced. It totaled 13 pages, more or less. I then went through and place Next Page section breaks being certain to alternate between even and odd pages. I changed the setup for different first page for the whole document. I then went into the first header page, because in ignorance I thought I needed to do this in a header (a throw-back to my Word 7 days [img]/w3timages/icons/shy.gif[/img]). While in the header, I then applied the first section page border. It didn't carry to the subsequent sections (5 in all, I believe) and I went to each one (no longer in header) and repeated the process. I then went to the end of the document and created a next page section break (odd page number) and it worked -- did another text insertion, and on an even page created another next page section break. I was able to successfully get the page border on the first page of each section, regardless of whether the previous page was odd or even. I fiddled with odd/even footer/headers and it didn't appear to make a difference.

I'm attaching a recreation of that document here. At home, I'm running 2K without any SR or SP, and was still able to successfully do this. I've re-read the original post, and I don't think I'm missing anything, but please let me know.

Edited by KB MacKenzie:
    >>Sections are set to start on odd pages.
    [img]/w3timages/icons/doh.gif[/img]
    Of course! When I put the right setting for the section break, it behaved as Bill stated. Definitely a bug. Work around... set breaks for the whole document to next page and before each section break include an if statement to test for odd page and if true make a "page break before"? I'll test this further (I'm not great on if statements) but wanted to edit this post and apologize. Sorry![img]/w3timages/icons/dizzy.gif[/img]
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Karen

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

[img]/w3timages/icons/nuts.gif[/img]I've tried unsuccessfully to create an if statement... I don't know what (if any is available) to use to indicate an odd page. If available, one could test for odd page and if true, insert a page break with macrobutton.

Short of that, it's a matter of inserting manual page breaks... [img]/w3timages/icons/sick.gif[/img]
    Karen

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MOD(page,2) or something like that
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia