3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Flashing document (2000 SR-1)

Two of our users have experienced the same problem with documents which originate from the same template. When displayed in Print Layout view, the documents "flash" on the screen. Also, the status bar cycles through the pages, as if repagination is occuring constantly (which may explain the flashing document). This is only a two-page document.

I tried running Detect and Repair, to no avail. Also, for one of the users, I changed the target printer, thinking the problem might be driver-related, but it still continued to do this. Any ideas?
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position or opinion of WCNOC.

Thanks

Re: Flashing document (2000 SR-1)

What kind of fields are in the document, if any?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In the header, there are PAGE and NUMPAGES fields, both contained within the last cell of a 3-column table. The only other fields are two FORMCHECKBOX fields and one FORMTEXT field on the last page.

Turns out I was misled on the document size, it is actually 5 pages. It is slightly over the 100k limit (181k), so I cannot post it here. If you like, I can send it via e-mail.
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position or opinion of WCNOC.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are other users getting the same thing?

Does it make a difference if the form is locked/unlocked for editing?

If you delete the formcheckbox fields does the flashing stop?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>Are other users getting the same thing?<hr>
    We have around 1000 users on our site, and this form is one which is viewed by the majority of them. We have only had 3 reports of this problem to date.
    <hr>Does it make a difference if the form is locked/unlocked for editing?<hr>
    The form would always be unlocked for editing. The designers did not use protection, either.
    <hr>If you delete the formcheckbox fields does the flashing stop?<hr>
    I sent an amended version without the FORMCHECKBOX field to the affected users. Only one has responded so far, and he says that it no longer flashes.

My curiousity is getting the better of me. Why would the FORMCHECKBOX cause the document to flash? We have several forms which include the FORMCHECKBOX field, yet this is the only one of them in which flashing has been reported.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Those formcheckboxes take up an inordinate amount of filespace and slow my machines down to a crawl. I try to avoid them where I can as I usually can't stand the speed and memory hit they incur.

It doesn't surprise me that you get lots of screen flashing where they are used as the screen is redrawing slowly enough for you to notice. The redraws may also be brought on by repagination caused by these troublesome boxes.

I don't have any real insights to offer although I send my commiserations, those things are a great idea in some documents.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I guess I'm not understanding...we have many form templates that utilize the FORMCHECKBOX, yet this is the only one that displays the "flashing" phenomenon--and then, only for 3 users (out of hundreds who use that particular form). I'm thinking there must be something else, in combination with the FORMCHECKBOX, causing this to occur.

I am researching whether there are any unique situations involving these users (Word options, printer drivers, other software, etc.) that may be causing this.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I went to the user's PC and viewed the situation. The "flashing" seemed to start when the pagination reached the end of the document, where it would toggle between 4 and 5 pages. Switching target printers did not affect it. Switching the paragraph marks seemed to stop it, however.

Being curious as to whether this problem was PC-specific or user-specific, I signed the user off and signed on to the PC, then opened the problem document. It did not flash. Therefore, the problem is specific to the user profile and the settings within. I am now trying to figure out what settings might affect this.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Just out of interest...
    Does the document have sections and linked to previous Headers/Footers?

It is very interesting that the problem appears to be user specific. Are you sure that it is not because the act of logging out freed up the memory that was previously clogged with a long session. If you logged in as that user and went straight to Word is the file still flashing?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>Just out of interest...
    Does the document have sections and linked to previous Headers/Footers?<hr>
    Yes, both. Actually, the form is quite unique, because it is a "melding" of what is originally four different forms. The form is a corrective action document; one form is used to identify the problem; another to assign the action level; the third for evaluation, and the fourth for closure. The office assistants join the forms together during the evolution of the document.
    <hr>It is very interesting that the problem appears to be user specific. Are you sure that it is not because the act of logging out freed up the memory that was previously clogged with a long session.<hr>
    Reasonably certain; the same users have repeatedly had this problem for several days/weeks, while the majority use the form without incident.
    <hr>If you logged in as that user and went straight to Word is the file still flashing?<hr>
    I have had the user perform a shutdown and restart, and then log in again; this does not eliminate the problem. At this point, I am leaning towards rebuilding the users' profiles, since I do not know specifically what setting, etc. is causing this. I was hoping to avoid this, since doing so removes all user customizations.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Gary:
    I don't have a solution, but you said in an earlier post that the document was to large to post. If you zip it, you should be able to upload it to the lounge. Maybe something would show up, although it's doubtful, if you can open the same document as a different user without problems. Just a thought.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Point taken. I have attached the document as a zip file. If I could figure out a setting in Word that could be changed, I'd be satisfied.

FWIW, the users were viewing the document in Print Layout mode, paragraph marks displayed. It seemed to take 5 seconds or so for the repagination to start.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Gary:
    I took a look at the document & could not duplicate the problem. I had no trouble with it. Deleting the check formfields only changed the document size about 3kb & I noticed no performance difference on a Pentium III, 600MH. It sure sounds like something in the the users' profiles, since it only happens to very few.

What happens if you start Word from the command line with the /a switch? Maybe these users have some add-in loading that affects it.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

JUST IN CASE. But I'm not sure if this is a user-specific property.

Right-click my computer.
    Properties.
    Performance tab.
    Graphics button.
    Increase hardware acceleration--or even decrease it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil, I deleted and recreated the two affected user's profiles, and this fixed the problem. I verified beforehand that they had no add-ins. I guess I'll have to be satisfied with fixing the problem, rather than knowing the cause. Thanks for the help!

Dreamboat, the users don't have access to these settings (they are locked out in a Windows NT 4.0 setup). Knowing that those settings are PC-specific, I had eliminated that as a cause when I was able to sign in to the same PC and did not experience the phenomenon. Besides, I'm almost certain that the flashing was a direct result of the screen being constantly repainted due to the repagination loop. You could actually see the number of pages quickly toggling between 4 and 5, over and over, as if the document just couldn't decide how many pages it was. Nevertheless, I appreciate the help on what has been a "hair-pulling" problem (if I had any to pull).