4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Creating a Graph (2000/SR1)

With the help of some people in this forum, I have put together a database that keeps track of downtime in our manufacturing facility. It works very well and creates some nice reports. Now my boss would like to graph the downtime and Access is kicking my _ _ _. Help!

I have 3 tables, tblTickets, to keep track of each Incident Report Ticket, tblEmployees, where I keep a list of employees and tblReasonCodes, where I store the codes for the reasons for the downtime, there are 13 total at this point. The reports that I have show the total downtime for each month and also the total for each Reason for each month. The database starts in January, 2001. I have also set it up so that you can run a report for specifc months or group of (consecutive) months. In order to get totals for each month, I used this formula: Month: Format([IncidentDate],"mmmm"", ""yyyy"). This works to show the totals for each month. And it all sorts in the correct order.

The problem comes in when I try to create a graph from the same query, (and i would like to be able to specify which months I want the graph to run, just like I do with the reports). The graph doesn't seem to recognize the month format, and sorts it in alphabetical order, so I get April before January. I can't seem to find a way to get it into the correct order. Also, is it me or are graphs harder to work with than they should be? Is there anyplace that has a good instruction set for using Graphs in Access? I sure appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Creating a Graph (2000/SR1)

Try the following regarding the Sorting of the date:

In MS Graph, double click on the graph that has the wrong sorting of dates. Right click on the axis with the incorrect date sort order and select Format Axis. Select Dates and the proper format. Close the graph and re-open it. This may solve your problem. If it doesn't, check to see the format of the date data being passed to the graph. You may need to convert it to a date format.

To be able to specify which months you want to run:
    You can do this using two combo boxes; one for the beginning date and one for the ending date. After selecting either date, launch an event that re-runs the queries for the recordset being used or drops and updates data in a table. Base your graph on the recordset or table with the updated table. Refresh the form after at the end of the event. As you change the values of the start or end date, the graph will update as well. (I have done this on some graphics and it works very well.)

Good luck
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Creating a Graph (2000/SR1)

Re the Sort Order: search this forum... Francois has some neat techniques to get the sort you want.

Charts are a PIA. The newer texts all say "use the pivot chart & forget the Chart". Hang in there ~ it takes about 8-10 hours of pain to get "comfortable" with Chart.