Thanks

Mail Merge - Catalog - Table - Repeating Text (2000 SR-1a)

I created an Excel data file and a Word merge file (using the Catalog option). I'm trying to create a roster for a swim club booklet. I created a table with the merge fields. All worked fine until I added text above the table (I.e., "Club Name" and "June 2002"). Rather than just printing the text on the first page and then creating a table of names, Word repeats the text and the individual table for each record! What can I do to stop this? Should I switch to a different format? Maybe I should use a NEXTRECORD code at the end of the table? Any other suggestions?? Thx. -Rich.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge - Catalog - Table - Repeating Text (2000 SR-1a)

How about placing your text in the header? This seems to work for me.

Thanks

Thanks. I thought of that, but I only want it on the first page. I guess I could adjust the page setup so that I have a different header on subsequent pages. I also could add the text after running the merge, but that doesn't seem the most efficient. I would think there must be some way to do this and not have it repeat. Thx. -Rich.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

How about just pasting the cells from Excel? This should come in as a table that you can then format. (Unless you are trying to avoid having to format a table each time data changes in the Excel spreadsheet... that's why you were merging in the first place.) Or record a macro for your formatting of the table, then each time you want your new roster, copy the data from Excel and run your macro. (formatrooster)

Thanks

Thanks for the idea. My similar idea is that I set up my file with all the info I need except for the merge portion, which would be in its own file, and then merge to the separate file, and then import the merged file into the main file. However, it seems to me that I ought to be able to set up a file like this:

Introduction
    Rules
    Other Junk
    <Roster - Data to Be Merged>
    Summary
    Closing

My intent would be to have static text surrounding the merged text, but if I do the above, at least the way I've structure my file at this point, all the static text repeats for every record in the merge. I'll probably be branded a heathen for saying this, but I'm pretty sure I can do this in WordPerfect, but Word just won't cooperate, at least as far as I can figure out. I shouldn't have to merge to a separate file just to get the data all by itself into a table.

Thx.

-Rich.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Rich:
    Why don't you just use Insert/Database & then insert the worksheet that you need?

Alternatively, you could use an INCLUDETEXT field, which would automatically update whenever you changed your source. (You could also update your source from the destination document.).

You might find these methods more suitable.

Cheers,

Thanks

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try them. But, I would think Insert/Database would work because I've formatted the Word doc to merge the data into a table with fields in various cells. I have never used INCLUDETEXT, but my sense would be that I'd have to use it for each record in the data sheet, or at maybe even for each field? I'll check it out, though. Thx. -Rich.