Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Heidelberg, Deutschland, Baden-W, Germany
    Thanks

Mails for OE come as att.txt

I am using Outlook Express (Win95, IE 5.01). Some of my correspondents who use Outlook 97 receive my messages as Att001.txt-files. Both they and I have checked text only for sending mails. What makes it even stranger is that when I reply from them, this reply arrives as it should.
    All my other correspondents (some of which are using Outlook as well) are receiving my mails in the correct form.
    Any ideas?
    TIA
    Bettina

ril

Re: Mails for OE come as att.txt

I, too, have received emails with these att001.txt files attached. Unfortunately, I don't know what the deal is with them.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

it's a mail server issue. you may have some control over it - what character encoding are you using? Use West. Euro. (ISO)

ril

FYI, there is another thread with a similar discussion in this group. I mentioned that it could have something to do with language settings... it will be very interesting to see if MaryJ can validate this. I think her suggestion is excellent - see if it helps!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, I occasionally have the same problem, and that is my language setting. It's definitely an ISP issue, but I doubt there's much we can do about it at our end. I know that if I open the text file, the remainder of the e-mail message is inside. Looks like the packets got mangled a bit in transfer.
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

That's the encoding both my correspondents and I are using. What's especially strange about it is that it started all of a sudden.

ril

Are you or your correspondents using Norton AntiVirus?

Lounger
    Thanks

Yes I am, and so is one of my correspondents, but I have disabled the e-mail protection.

ril

Has your correspondent disabled email protection as well?

Does the problem still exist when both of you have disabled the Norton Antivirus email protection?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q146/2/63.asp

not sure i'd call exchange an isp - and it most often happens with mail from hp open mail or from locations with a mix of mail servers from what i've seen. if the sender is not using WE(ISO) it happens more often too. The headers are not parsed correctly and exchange is confused.
    there is another kb with more information, but i don't recall the number.
    It's beyond the users control, although changing the senders language to WE(ISO) may help. The admin needs to tweak the server... and it's usually caused on the sender's end.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

this is one thing AV email scanning doesn't get blamed for. (not that AV email scanning is all that good)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I've had it happen to me at home on my dialup connection when I receive messages from a list I subscribe to. They may or may not be running Exchange, but I'm not and I am set for WE (ISO). It has only happened a time or two out of the years I've been subscribed, and since my ISP is ATT, the attachments having ATT in their names seems to be something beyond coincidence. Many of the subscribers had it happen at the same time over a period of a few days, and all of them had ATT as an ISP.
    Charlotte

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

att = attachment, not ATT.com. Bet all got it from the same person too - menaing it was on the senders end.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, the list all comes from the same place. But not everyone had a problem, only the ATT subscribers. And I've had a friend who uses HotMail ask me about Message3.txt files attached to one of my emails on the same basis. I don't use Exchange (I'm on dialup).
    Charlotte

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

the mail server is not properly reading the message header and doesn't know how to parse it. I use exchange and we get them occassionally from users - none of whom use ATT for service. The header may be getting munged by ATT or Hotmail or it could be getting munged anywhere along the route. When it arrives, it can't be parsed correctly and is left as a text attachment. If you are using WE(ISO) and plain text, there is little else you can do to prevent it. It's server side.
    this kb is old but it still applies, although it affects plain text mail as well as html.
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q161/0/44.asp
    There's a newer, better one that i can't find. Also, other file extensions may be used, including dat, RTF (usually named body.RTF) and UTF.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast