New Lounger
    Thanks

Win2K Server Licenses for IIS?

Greetings,

I'm sure this has been asked before but after reading previous posts and the
    MS site I am still confused.

I wish to purchase a Dell PowerEdge 1400SC with Windows 2000 Server to host
    a SharePoint Team Services site using MSDE. One company will host the site,
    but users are from different companies and access the site from their
    corporate network and from the internet (from home). Many users use
    Netscape, so Integrated Auth is out (so I'm told).

What type of license, if any, do I need to purchase (CAL or ICL)? The Dell
    comes with 5 CALS.

TIA...

Thanks

Re: Win2K Server Licenses for IIS?

This is one of those topics that makes me wish I could say "I am not a lawyer." But, in fact, I am.

According to Windows 2000 Client Access Licensing Overview, you need a CAL "for each client computer that is used by an authenticated user or that uses Windows 2000 Server Services." This breaks down as follows:

Authenticated User
    "An authenticated user is one who directly or indirectly uses the Windows 2000 Server Integrated Sign-on Service or receives credentials from the Windows 2000 Active Directory service." If your application does not use Windows authentication at all, then CALs are not needed: "Access to Internet sites by anonymous users does not require a CAL."

Server Services
    If you run File, Print or Terminal services on the server, or if users can RAS to the server, then CALs are required. I do not believe that this applies to, for example, accessing files through a web interface supplied by IIS, but instead refers to the traditional file and print services. Otherwise, all anonymous FTP sites would need CALs.

For "internal" users, the same principles apply, according to Internet Connector Licensing FAQ:
    <hr>Q. What about anonymous Intranet applications?

A. Anonymous Intranet applications do not require a Client Access License (CAL) as long as server services (file, print, remote access) are not used, and as long as Intranet users access the server anonymously, that is, they do not use server authentication.<hr>
    In any event, if you run other Windows 2000 servers, and have purchased enough CALs for every employee, you own enough CALs to cover the use of the new server by internal employees, assuming you license on a per-seat basis. (If you are not running Novell or another OS for file and print services, you generally license on a per-seat basis to maximize the value of your CALs.)

So if you are not using Windows authentication to access SharePoint on the new server, then the Windows licensing does not appear to require any additional expenditures beyond the installed package. I'm not sure I could say the same about SharePoint itself; I know nothing about how it is licensed.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win2K Server Licenses for IIS?

From MS's website (http://www.microsoft.com/frontpage/s...m#_GENERAL_Q&A):

What are the licensing requirements for SharePoint Team Services?
    Compared to many other Microsoft products and technologies, licensing for SharePoint Team Services is unique: For the Server: To deploy the SharePoint Team Services team Web site solution, you need a license for FrontPage 2002.
    FrontPage 2002 is available as a standalone offering, and also ships with Office XP Developer.
    For the Client: There are no Client Access Licenses (CALs) for SharePoint Team Services, whether installed on a corporate network or available through a commercially hosted service. However, server administrators should refer to their Microsoft Windows