drjabear

Automatic Links to Information in Another Workbook

Good Morning,
    I have a workbook that used to have links to another workbook in it. I have since removed all links...I thought! Evidentally I did not remove all links in the workbook to outside workbooks. Can anyone tell me a uniform way of doing this? I have tried showing formulas and searching each worksheet for potential links, but I am unable to find anything. Thanks for the help!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Automatic Links to Information in Another Workbook

If you open the workbook and select the Edit Menu, is the Links command enabled? If it is, then click on that command and it should show you what links it thinks are still being used. You should then be able to do an Edit | Find on the link in the worksheet. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a way to copy the information from the Edit Links to the Find dialog boxes.

There is also a situation in which Excel continues to think that there are active links after all links have been deleted. Unfortunately, I do not remember what you have to do to correct this problem. If that is your problem, maybe someone else will jump in with the solution to that problem.
    Legare Coleman

drjabear

Thanks for the help, but Excel doesn't seem to be showing any links??? I think the workbook thinks there are active links. Is there anyone else that can help?? Thanks,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Try the Microsoft download site..they have a delete links file

www.microsoft.com/downloads/

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

One more thing that I just thought of. Check the Defined Names in the workbook and make sure that none of them are external links.

One think that you can do that should get rid of the problem is to open the workbook and open a new workbook and copy and paste all of the sheets to the new workbook. This should be fairly easy as long as you don't have a lot of defined names or macros.
    Legare Coleman

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

Check <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=xl&Number=8676&page=&view=& sb=&vc=1>this thread</A> for somebody elese's experience with this.

In particular, check out the following "remove external links" routines:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.accountingadvisors.com/exdownload.htm>Bill Manville's utility</A>

and <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q188/4/49.ASP>Microsoft's version</A>

In that thread, there was a problem where there was a named range to an external spreadsheet, and that spreadsheet had embedded spaces in the name. We found a way around that problem- other than that, they both seem to work OK.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

I've had that problem also. You were referred to another thread that discussed this. In that thread, there was referral to yet an earlier thread.

I had posted a very simple solution to the problem. It may have been in the earlier of the above 2 threads but that no longer seems to be available (I got a page not found error).

If this is truly a link problem (as opposed to a Named Range), then go to the Edit Link dialog. Select the link that you want to get rid of. Click on the Change Source button. Navigate to the workbook you're in - yes, the one that's giving you the problem. Select that workbook as the one you want to change the source to. The link will disappear from the set of links.

Worked for me in Excel 97.

Fred

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Don't forget that Charts and Objects (buttons and such) can also have external references which triggers the 'links' message.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Fred,

I get the same result as you; I could not find it by looking at your posts.

Can you find your post- or the thread- by searches? I wasn't able to find it.

I'm not aware of any posts being removed. It's possible for a thread to get moved to another forum (by a moderator)- but that is rare.

Do you rememeber what date it was (Approximately)?
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

The Microsoft utility mentioned earlier in the thread goes even further. It looks for links in:
    .Master formula links (I assume that's formulas in cells)
    .Defined name links
    .Hidden name links (They may occur if the worksheet came from an application like 1-2-3)
    .Chart Links
    .Microsoft Query links
    .Object Links

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Geoff,

did a search on "Change source" and found my first post on this. Here's the id# info for my post:
    Re: removing links [Post#: 9285 / re: 696 ]

Not sure if this is the one you were referring to (there was the "Hidden links" thread and some other - maybe it was the above).

Fred

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Fred,

Great, thanks. I've fixed the "missing link".

For reference, here's the
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=xl&Number=696&page=&vie w=&sb=&vc=1#Post696>thread again</A>