New Lounger
    Thanks

Merge Document (9.0 sr-1)

I have 3 files which all contain revisions. I wish to bring all three files together (without accepting revisions first), such that I can send out one comprehensive file containing all revisions to a review panel.
    I have used Tools, Merge Documents, which should give me what I want but I keep getting an error message - 'The merged documents cotnain unmarked changes. Do you want to merge up to the first untracked change?'
    I do not have a copy of the original (prior to revisions) and I have tried accepting revisions on all three and then doing compare with unsatisfactory results.
    Has anybody done a 'merge documents' of this nature and is there something elementary I may have missed?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Merge Document (9.0 sr-1)

This is pushing the envelope of Word technology. Merge Documents is intended to collect and combine multiple files that started out identical, which contain only marked changes and produce a resulting file which has "merged" into a complete whole "unmarked" document which incorporates everyone's changes. Even then, I wouldn't trust it. The electronic "redlining" you are looking for does not currently exist unless the changes were tracked from the start by "collaboration" functionality such as XPs "Send for Review" or DeltaView Premier.

You may need to manually mark your combined file. (I know, ugh!)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jayce:
    I'm not sure this will work as I haven't tried it. However, take a look at
    WD2000: Can't Merge Documents with Tracked Changes (Q189241)

Let us know if this works.

Cheers,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil

Thanks for the link but it didn't provide much help.

What did become apparent though was that the original document had comments in when it was sent out for review. The comments were still in the documents when they came back with the tracked changes.

I have now found when I delete the comments from all versions the merge works through alot more of the document than previously but not all the way through. I hadn't realised that comments were also seen as tracked changes.

As Van points out I can't get 100% of the revisions into one document. Only thing I can think of now is to get the original author to use routing which takes longer to get revisions back but at least it's only one file to work with.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

jayce