3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error on startup

I just upgraded systems here at work from '98 to Win 2000 Prof. Every time I start up my system sitting on the desktop is this error: "Could not wait on selected object!"

What is this referring to and how do I get it?
    lynndelap

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error on startup

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Event Viewer. Locate the event causing the error message, double-click on it and see its description. Remove from startup or fix the program mentioned in event description.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I went in where you told me and one error was Source: DnsApi; the other Source:w32time. I don't see where I can remove these in the Startup and don't believe they are part of it.???
    lynndelap

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The DNSAPI error is likely related to you internet connection. What follows is a quote from Microsoft:
    <hr>Cause: The DNS client attempted to update its information with the DNS server but failed because of a problem related to the server.

Solution: If a client can reach its preferred and alternate DNS servers as configured, it is likely that the cause of its failed updates can be found elsewhere.

At Windows 2000 client computers, you can use Event Viewer to check the System log for any event messages that explain why attempts by the client to dynamically update its host (A) or pointer (PTR) resource records failed.

When reviewing messages in the System log, filter or order the display of all messages to view those that specify DnsApi as the source for the message. Typically, these messages are related to the performance of DNS activities, such as DNS queries or dynamic updates.

A common reason updates might fail for a mobile client is that the DNS server required to accept and perform the update does not respond when the client starts at a remote location on the network. This could be due to network performance issues or might indicate a problem in the underlying design of your network. Where these issues persist or seem likely, you should review your DNS deployment and modify it accordingly.<hr>
    With regards to the Windows Time component, it is a system service that is started automatically. It attempts to go out to synchronize the system time on a network. You should find both of these services in the service control section of Administrative Tools.

To resolve the DNS problem, you may need to specify DNS servers - more likely it's a problem on the other end. Are you on a corporate network or at home?
    -Mark