New Lounger
    Thanks

Disappearing toolbars

My colleague has somehow lost all her toolbars in Word including the File, Edit etc one. If I log on to her machine as administrator then it's fine. How do I get it back?

BAM

Re: Disappearing toolbars

It sounds like a little corruption in the Registry. Recently this is becoming pretty common and MS has yet to determine what the cause is. However it is pretty easy to correct:

Exit Word and while your colleague is logged on a change in the Registry needs to be made. So if they don't have permissions to edit the Registry, this would need to be temporarily changed.

In the Registry drill down to:
    Word 97: HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice8.0WordDat a

Word 2000: HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice9.0WordDat a

and delete the Toolbars value on the right. It will be recreated when Word starts.

As always, you should take the necessary precautions when editing the Registry. If you are unfamiliar with what those are, take a look at "backing up the registry" and "restoring the registry" in the Registry Help.

As another precaution, you can export the Data key (Registry/Export Registry File) prior to deleting the Toolbars value. That way, if things go wrong you can double-click the *.reg file to merge the unmodified key back into the Registry.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Lounger
    Thanks

Although you've probably fixed it by now, there is another solution (if I remember from having to do it 6+ months ago) for those who want to avoid the registry. Simply delete the normal.dot file and then open Word. The toolbars should be back. I was actually able to find a help file for this on Microsoft's site, but don't have the info on it handy.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have had similar but this may not be your case. In my case *powering off* the PC fixed the problem. Never did figure out the cause, but could have been the Normal.dot!?!
    Granville

New Lounger
    Thanks

About two years ago we had the problem (running Word97 on a Windows95 PC with limited RAM and disk space). We determined then that it was a memory leak, and as available memory was low Word's toolbars would disappear. Not sure if this would apply to your situation or not. . .

Tom