Star Lounger
    Thanks

is this a virus? (IE 6)

I received an email message with an executable file attached. I have up to date Norton virus definitions and I never open attachments anyway but I have been informed that this file is actually a trojan. I ran it through Norton's database but it came up empty - not known to them.
    The file is CFGWIZ32.EXE.
    I did a search on my computer and it is installed in the WindowsSystem folder even though I did not open the attachment. I want to know if it really is a trojan and if so, can I safely delete the file from the System folder OR is it a required Windows file thatI should leave alone.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks.

Thanks

Re: is this a virus? (IE 6)

First thing is to check why you were sent it in the first place - did you ask the sender?

The name suggests a configuration wizard. BUT - I personally would not touch anything like that - the name could be copied from a real file so actually means nothing.
    The only way you are going to tell is by scanning with a virus scanner you can trust.

Thanks

OK - a bit of research throws up examples of it being an infected 'real' file distributed by email

CFGWIZ32.exe is listed as a genuine Windows file with a size of 65K - if the copy you have been sent is bigger, you likely have an infected version.

Some background info here.

I suggest you treat the email with extreme caution.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Leif.
    The size of my installed CFGWIZ32.EXE file is 64k. The one attached to the email was 95 k.
    You're a peach.
    -Wyza

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you think it is a virus and that Norton is not detecting it, then you can go HERE and send the file to Norton. The will check it out and let you know if it contained a virus.
    Legare Coleman