Star Lounger
    Thanks

Find/Replace command opens new blank window (2000 (all releases?))

Hello folks,

Sure could use some help --- searched here and on MS's KnowledgeBase ...

I recently got a new computer (Dell Workstation 530) running 2 CPU's with Windows 2000 (SP2), and have re-installed Office 2000 --- and regardless of the release, as in I start with my original CD's which were the original release, apply SR1, SP2, etc ... I get the same 'WEIRD' behavior with the Find/Replace/GoTo commands:

The command itself triggered by control-F (or control-H or control-G) or by the menu selection of Edit-Find (etc.) all bring up the expected dialog window BUT in a completely blank (new instance) of Word --- which is just about as useless as it can be ... since when I find "whatever" the original document goes and finds the word I'm searching for ... but I can't see it until I quit the Find dialog ... which isn't too bad with Find --- but its a disaster with Find and Replace.

What's even weirder is that this strange behavior disappears every once in a while (it happens most of the time, but every once in a while things are the way they should be).

Any ideas about what to do?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Find/Replace command opens new blank window (2000 (all releases?))

Allen

You're right - that is a weird problem! The following are a few blind shots at it:

Are you running any third-party add-ins, or have any global templates or add-ins that might be intercepting the built-in Find command?

Also, before running a Find/Replace, go to the Tasks manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and see if there is more than one instance of Word already running.

One last thought: are you using Word as your default editor for Outlook? - if so, trying turning that off and see if it makes any difference.

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I think it may be a template that is attached to the file rather than a global template. That would explain the intermittent nature of the problem. When you are in a file that gives you the problem do the following.
    Have a look under Tools | Templates and AddIns and remove the attached template and uncheck any global templates and add-ins. Now try the same commands and see if the problem is still there.

If the problem is still there, there is probably a customisation of your Normal.dot. Close Word, rename that file and then try again.

Let us know if neither of these actions fixes the problem.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your suggestions --- but mostly I've "been there-done that" before posting my question. Just now got rid of PDFMaker.dot that was in my C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeStartup directory ... which was the only "global template" that I still had running --- except of course Normal.dot (which I've tried renaming ... and of course then Word creates a new "default" version of that template).

... only one instance of Word

... no I use Outlook's built-in editor.

thanks anyway.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dear Andrew,

Thanks for your suggestions --- but as in my earlier reply to the first response to my query --- already done.

I guess I should have been clearer about what I mean by every-once-in-a-while it doesn't do this strange behavior ... it does it with a new blank document and every document I edit ... but "once in a blue moon" it won't behave poorly --- sometimes while in the same session of editing a document.

Still no luck (tried all of the things you suggested).

Since I posted my first query, I found out that if I right-click on the task bar instance of Word for the blank screen and tell it to minimize (and Close is an option but it doesn't do anything) then I get back to the window with my document I'm editing --- so for at least now I can do my work ...

Any other ideas?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

HERE I AM "ANSWERING MY OWN QUESTION"!!!

PROBLEM SOLVED --- Both Gary's and Andrew's suggestions got me thinking about other programs running that might be messing with my system --- the culprit was something called HydraVision Desktop Manager, which came with my system and is assoicated with my ATI Radeon VE graphics card --- which allows for dual monitors, etc. Since I currently only have one monitor, disabling this program seems to be the way to go.

Thanks for the help.