Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: notebook paper

New Lounger
    Thanks

notebook paper

Does anyone know of a template or a way to create horizontal lines on a page, so as to simulate the look of notebook paper? Thank you!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: notebook paper

Have a look at this post
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Geoff:

You know, I tried your method in Word 2K & it only puts a line at the bottom of all the paragraphs. i.e. if there are three lines in a row, only the bottom row is underlined.

If I alternate between normal & notebook style, I get a line under the notebook style. What version of Word are you using?

I remember that there is a way to put lines in the header & then end up with "lined" paper. There was an article in Inside Microsoft Word (probably version 6, but maybe 7), but I can't find it right now.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

You're right.

I went back through the steps. I think what I did differently the first was to highlight several lines before I started; when I did this, it gave me the opportunity to apply the line to the centre horizontal line as well as the bottom line.

So the steps (from the beginning) are:

.Highlight several lines
    .Select Format, Style, New, type in the name notebook. Then Format, Border, select the second line style, and a colour of light blue. Apply it to the bottom line and the centre horizontal lines of the box only.
    .Click OK, and Apply
    .Whenever you want to apply the style, (optionally highlight lines first if you want to apply it to text already entered), and select the style notebook.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Thanks

Would you mind posting a sample. I would like to create a couple of templates to post on my website. Enough people ask for this that it's a shame for everyone to have to reinvent the wheel.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks

Here, in a zip format are two attempts. The first uses a copied Web background JPG or Gif in the Header. The second uses a table with borders. The second is also formatted with Comic Sans MS 14pt as the font in a kind of charcoal gray. Let me know what you think.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Geoff:

I still can't get it by following your steps. When I highlight text & make a new notebook style, then go to Format/Border, there is no option for a center border--only top, bottom, right & left. When I choose bottom, it still only comes out at the bottom of a group of paragraphs.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The first one comes out kinda light. Also, it's difficult to find the right size font to get the correct line spacing, although I'm sure that could be overcome.

The second one, the table, has the problem that all tables have for this issue. If your sentence goes more than one line, each line (of the sentence) isn't on a "lined" border.

No. I'm convinced that there is a way of putting it in a header like a watermark. I tried using a table with a text box on top, but it needs some work. See attachment.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

O.K. Finally. I found the article in Inside Microsoft Word, August 1997 by Peggy Clements, based on a tip from Tess Marshall.

1. Open a new document
    2. Set a right aligned tab at the right margin, using the Format/Tab dialog box.
    3. Use the 4th leader (a line), & click O.K.
    4. Type Tab, <enter> & repeat (F4) until your page is filled. If you're too exhuberant, you can backspace.
    5. Select everything & cut: Ctrl+A, Ctrl+X.
    6. Show the Drawing toolbar & open the header.
    7. Draw a textbox from the bottom of the header margin to the top of the footer margin.
    8. Right click the textbox, choose Format textbox, & set the line to "no line".
    9. Paste the contents of the clipboard into the textbox.
    10. Close the header & you can type on the "lines". If the text doesn't line up perfectly, you can open the header, select the textbox, & use Ctrl+arrow to adjust it up or down slightly.

That's it.[img]/w3timages/icons/aflame.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/aflame.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/aflame.gif[/img]

You can save this as a template. It will have underlines under each line, even if it wraps, both on screen & in print. The only defect is that the lines on screen look "faded" because they're in a header.

One thing I thought of but it's too late to try tonight, is to copy the textbox to the clipboard, close the header, & paste the textbox in the document. You might have to move it to line up with the one in the header & you have to send it behind the text (I think).

Whew![img]/w3timages/icons/dizzy.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/dizzy.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/dizzy.gif[/img]

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Here's my sample- document Notepad.dot with style NoteBook.

Nothing like consistency. Just following in Microsoft's example.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Geoff:

O.K. I got the middle line. I had NOT put in hard returns before selecting lines. When I did, I was able to get what you have in a screen shot.

However, it only puts in a line below each paragraph. If a line wraps, it doesn't put a border under a long sentence.

Does yours work with a border under each line, as if you were writing on lined paper? I can't do it using your method. I created a paragraph style, not character style.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

AARRRGGGHH!

You're right.

It seemed like such a good idea at the time.

So it's back to the other method in this thread.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

I don't know what you're doing differently.

I assume that you've highlighted lines with hard returns.

I've attached a screenshot (B&W unfortunately)- what I did in that screen shot works OK (and I'm on a different machine now than before).
    Attached Images Attached Images

ileacy

Geoff.
    What about using a watermark?

Thanks

As a footnote, if you don't need the precise multidimensional positioning control (or extra headaches) afforded by a textbox, you can do this:

1. Fill your header with full-width horizontal lines (e.g., press enter twice to leave 3 lines blank at the top, set a right tab at the right margin or clear your center tab, press ctrl-U, and tab-enter-tab-enter all the way down).

2. Reset your top margin to an "absolute" value (e.g., -1") so that your text isn't pushed off the page.

3. Tweak your header margin to to get the optimal spacing of lines to text. Mine looks good at .45" - YMMV.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast