Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2002 non-programming books

Went to the local Borders and Barnes & Noble today to see if any of the Word non-programming books discussed the new Word 2002 Paste* items.

To my surprise:

1. Borders had ONLY a single copy of a Word 97 book.
    2. B & N did not have much more.
    3. Also went to local Comp USA, but that's a waste of time for books.

None had SE Using Word 2002.
    Does SE Using Word 2002 cover the Paste* stuff in Tools | Options | Edit.

My conclusion is:

1. People have stopped buying Word non-programming books; or
    2. Turn over is so rapid, I missed them; or
    3. People are buying books on the Internet.

What non-programming, "comprehensive", Word 2002 books are folkes using?

According to a review at Amazon, SE Using Word 2002 leaves out some of the new stuff. Is that so?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Word 2002 non-programming books

If a book sits on the shelf for 10 days that is to long for the book stores, so they will not restock, just special order.

Check out the online stores you may find what you want.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

In this case, I cannot.

I need to find out if the book covers ALL of the options in the Tools | Options | Edit menu, including the new Settings for Cut and Paste.

I need to see the book.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Saw the book yesterday.
    Was not impressed.

It did LIST the options, but gave NO explanation.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Howard:
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    I need to find out if the book covers ALL of the options in the Tools | Options | Edit menu, including the new Settings for Cut and Paste.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

This search gives you 6 KB Article links on the new Word 2002 Paste Options Button:
    6 Paste Options KB Articles

******I don't know if these books have discussion of this feature to the extent you want.
    One book is 2000 because I don't believe Sybex Matering Word 2002 is out yet.

1) Can't find this on the web but I bet it covers this: Wiley bought IDG/Hungry Minds and they don't list a number of IDG books on their site. I have seen it in Borders, Microcenter in my town.

2) Sybex Master Office XP Premium Edition Courter Marquis Browning pp. 24-25
    3) Microsoft Word 2002 for Law Firms Donna Payne p. 9 Donna Payne does a great job with Word I heard her speak. You don't have to be interested in the context of legal paper work/briefs/legal forms. Good book on Word that will probably be missed by people because of its legal connotation cover.
    4)Microsoft Word Inside Out Mary Millhollon and Katherine Murray pp. 49-53 MS Press
    5) Using Word 2002 Que p. 75--This may be your best bet for discussion of this but I don't know if you'll get all you want.

Last but not least--these books are great but they aren't sold in bookstores--particularly the advanced ones for more extensive discussions like you want. They are found at Thompson Course Technology Books on Word. They have extensive illustrations and detail; I have some on XP and one on Word. You have to order them from the company in Boston and wierdly they don't put prices in their catalogue, only on the web.
    I didn't put the ISBN's in because you can easily go to their web sites if you need the ISBN and want to order from a store rather than get them off the websites.

You might try the Office Web Site for Word Tutorials but probably already have:
    Paste Text Without the Formating into a Word Document May have nothing to do with the new Paste Options button but they may have help in this area.
    Office Assistance Center Word
    Word Tips Microsoft Office Assistance Center
    ----------------------------
    All have Search boxes***
    ----------------------------

Good luck,

defrag

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanx.

I have the Word Inside/Out book. It does not cover what I was after.

If item 5 is the Special Edition Using Word 2002 book, I've seen that. All it does is list the options, not at all useful.

I do not recall whether I saw items 1 and 2 when I went to Barnes & Noble and Borders.

I've not been impressed with the Mastering ... for Law Firms books. I suppose they serve as a useful introduction, but I rarely buy a book that cannot also serve as a detailed reference.

Anyway, I'm waiting for:

Mastering Word 2002 for Right-handers
    Mastering Word 2002 for Left-handers
    Mastering Word 2002 for the Ambidexterious
    Masterin Word 2002 for Homer Simpson
    Etc.

In general, I now buy only VS .NET related books.
    With 1 exception, no more Office related books until Office 11.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Howard--I can't help but believe that what you are after exists on some web sites--why don't you post this question in the Word section--and you know better than I do whether these books are going to cover this. I know when I posted I took out my collection and didn't find depth on it.

Good luck,

defrag

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I'm only looking for books.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Howard, it would seem from reading this thread that you're not interested in any of the books or suggestions that you solicited to begin with. It escapes me exactly what it is that you are hoping to find, but it would seem that no one will be able to help you in this case. Perhaps a trip to the bookstore would bring better results for you? Even that won't help though, as you've been and are not impressed with the offerings.

I would suggest visiting Amazon and looking through their collection of used books if what you seek is not available on store shelves.
    -Mark

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I was hoping to find a BOOK that explains, not just lists, the optons of interest.
    AFAIK, there is no such critter.