Thanks

Word Won't Close - Memory Loss (MS Word 2000 (9.0.3821 SR-1))

I am using:

MS Word 2000 (9.0.3821 SR-1)

under:

Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A

I keep track of RAM using a utility called RAMpage v 3.1. Sometimes, for no apparent reason, my available RAM slowly drops to where the program just manages to keep somewhere between 0 and 10 MB available.

I think I have seen a correlation between this phenomenon and a shut-down problem in which Word fails to close when the "close" box is selected. Most of the time a slow, delayed close can be invoked via the Task Manager, where I learn that Word is 'not responding.'

Is there a patch that will fix this phenomenon, or is it just part of computing with this software combination?

Thanks,
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Re: Word Won't Close - Memory Loss (MS Word 2000 (9.0.3821 SR-1))

Could this be a situation where another program is keeping Word open in the background? I think using WordMail (Word as the e-mail editor in Outlook) does this. If a program or VBA macro "automates" Word by creating a new instance of it in memory and fails to Quit that instance of Word, it will appear in the task list and take up memory. Possibly a poorly debugged add-in might do that. I'm not sure if there are other cases.

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion and the quick response. I use Netscape Communicator 4.08 and its mail interface whenever it works. It has saved me thus far from the Klez virus and its ilk. I do use ZTree regularly because I find the global view feature the easiest tool for relocating a file I've ever seen. Occasionally I use it to open a Word document, but I think it just opens a window with Word and loads the file. Is this what you mean by "If a program or VBA macro "automates" Word by creating a new instance of it in memory and fails to Quit that instance of Word, it will appear in the task list and take up memory."? Most of the time I already have one or more Word documents running, so it would be hard to decide which is the "new instance" case. Do you think that the order in which documents are closed is a critical factor? Would closing the one opened with ZTree last be significant?

Thanks again,
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hello,

(Don't know whether Jefferson has signed off for the night so am jumping in...)

It sounds like Jefferson's suggestions are on target. Based on your description, most likely ZTree is creating a separate instance of Word via automation. It's very difficult from the user perspective to tell which instance is which. You could confirm that there are two instances of Word running by checking the Task Manager after opening a document using ZTree.

The order in which the documents were closed might matter; do you see the problem associated with one way but not the other? Just as a guess it would seem better to close the ZTree document first, but not sure. You could try the following:

Try closing the ZTree document first, and then check Task Manager to see if there are still two instances of Word running. If so, this points to a problem with ZTree not shutting down the instance of Word properly.

Gary

Thanks

Netscape has no reason to start Word to compose mail, so I don't think that is an issue.

ZTree also doesn't look like it would do anything other than launch a .doc file through the Windows API, but maybe there is more than meets the eye. Do you program file extensions into ZTree separately? Testing in the manner Gary suggests would be the fastest way to rule out ZTree as an issue.

Last but not least, are you experiencing crashes in Word during the day?