Thread: Shut Down?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Shut Down?

About once in three times when I shut down I end up with a blue screen of death ... have to restart, restore and shut down again. Is this ... uh ... common for ME?

rosevines

Re: Shut Down?

Nah! There's something wrong with your setup or Me is uncomfortable with some of your hardware. Have you checked for compatibility problems in your Hardware Profile? If your hardware seems okay, how about your software? You imply that you can shutdown successfully after running Restore -- do you encounter the blue screen of death after running a particular program? If you are, you may want to check for an update/patch for that program or try uninstalling and reinstalling it. Otherwise, I'd opt for a format and reinstall.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shut Down?

THis solution deals with a "Windows Protection Error" BSOD. If you connect to the Windows Update page on the Web you will come across a patch to ME called Windows IDE Hard Drive Cache Package. It seems windows is trying to close down before the disk has written its cache away. I dont think the patch works in every case, since my IGig PIII + UDMA 66 drive machine still reports the BSOD on 4 out of 5 cases even though Ive installed the patch.