New Lounger
    Thanks

Extraneous Words Appearing When Composing (OE6)

When I compose mail using OE6, extraneous words start appearing in the message, at the point where I am typing. The additions can get quite lengthy if I am interrupted in the middle of composing a message. I do not know where the information is coming from. It is mostly gibberish -- real words but not in sentences that make any sense. On one recent occasion, the phrase "San Simeon" appeared spontaneously. I am virtually certain that phrase is not found anywhere on my computer.

Here is what was inserted when I was interrupted by a phone call while composing my last message:

Dole long been lying areas like Long lines why does someone along with all the songs, so on his way, some ideas on lineI saw my mama so long said on the line her lot of her same idea of a small as I say we'reHe is lying on the line on the way he always on loss on same her, her loss a way of life since my mind, he is a high-rise by as his bravery as I understand this time his wife a high-long as we're always laws so a long hiatusI am all I knew I knew I had my neighbors I lost on the new line by line they have a very mime as a on were as long as a I have laws on all the fires losses were buying a all were was he is so high on her life I saw my baseline a day as the city, I saw some of my phrase on San Simeon on error resume on , as soon as I I I I I saw you say long her law by idea was then the new as the San Fran, says his son of Sam Sam always high on the scene , I have to

Any help woud be MOST appreciated.

John Hoffman

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Re: Extraneous Words Appearing When Composing (OE6)

I have this powerful sense of deja vu

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response. I had already run a virus check before posting. I do not subscribe to any new feeds or chat services. I am still at a loss. Do you think reinstalling OE6 is likely to solve the problem?

Thanks

I'm at a loss. You certainly could try it. Someone with good knowledge of how to get at what's actually running on your computer might be able to give you more ideas if that doesn't do the trick. If those people don't happen by this board, you might try posting a link to this thread on the board for your flavor of Windows.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

no - reinstalling probably won't help. either you have a virus (or trojan) or a macro utility that enters preselected text.

Run an online scanner, http://housecall.antivirus.com if your preferred vender doesn't offer online scanning.

Start Menu | run and type in
    msconfig
    check all the tab, especially the last two, for programs running at start up. Check the paths to the files listed and report back with any suspicious or unknown entries. Anything in the root (c:filename.exe) or with really wierd filenames (XFDRGTHY.exe) are always questionable.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

i thought there was a son of sam virus or worm.. but i can't find anything either.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much. I think you have solved the problem for me. I've left an email Compose message open for a half hour and nothing has been added to it.

I looked the startup files in msconfig and found nothing suspicious, though I took the opportunity to uncheck some of the programs I did not need at startup. I then rebooted and still had the problem. I then looked through the processes list on msconfig and found something called Netropa. Looking at their website, I found it was some sort of Internet news service. There was no entry in the Add/Remove programs list, so I deleted the Netropa folder from the Programs folder. I then used Regedit to delete all Netropa entries. Some refused to delete, so in just trying things out, I right clicked, found a Permissions entry, clicked on it and changed the Permission to full control. I was then able to delete the remaining Netropa entries.

Sorry for so long a post, but I thought I'd give all the detail in case it is helpful to someone else.

Now I have an easier question for you:

I am using WXP. Now that I have unchecked some of the entries in Msonfig Startup, I get a message every time I boot up telling me that I am in Selective StartUp, etc. W98 did not display such messages. Is there any way to have WXP start with some files disabled in MSconfig Startup, without having the warning messages come up on bootup?

Thanks again for your help.

John Hoffman