Thanks

Re: Section text disappears then reappears?? URGENT (Word 2002)

Behaves perfectly in Word 2000/SR-1 on Windows 2000/SP2 w/256MB. I tried up and down arrow scrolling, page up and page down, and mouse/scroll bar (I don't have a wheel mouse).

Could be an XP bug, Windows video or mouse driver, short on memory...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Christopher,

Just following up on Jefferson's comments (it works perfectly on my Word 2K machine as well) - have you tried viewing this file on any other PC besides your own? It does sound like a video problem on your machine.

Gary

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Section text disappears then reappears?? URGENT (Word 2002)

Hi,

Attached is a document that I am currently working on. It contains a series of sections each with a bit of text.

The problem is associate with the 2nd page of the COVER IV section.

When you scroll up and down the page (keeping the 2nd COVER IV page in view), some of the text gets lost and 'disappears'. However, if you keep on scrolling up and down, again keeping the page in view, the text reappears.

The 'disappearing' text is:

New World Order, a satire both broad and pointed, deeply funny and disturbingly on-target.

MAX BARRY is an Australian, for which he apologizes. He is the author of the cult hit Syrup, although he spelled his name
    Attached Files Attached Files

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. This is going to be a little tricky to explain, but please bear with me as I have found quite a bizarre/interesting bug in Word.

You are correct in that the previous attached document (I have now attached a new one) did not have any problems. The document I have now attached does however suffer with the problems mentioned.

The reason the previous one was ok is because I first opened the problem document in Word, clicked on 'Save As', saved it to my desktop, then attached it to this message. For some reason, this rectified the problem, and the newly saved document displayed all of the text consistently.

I only get the problem if I save the problem doc. to my desktop directly from Outlook (which is where the person who found the error sent it) instead of opening it first in Word and using the 'Save As' Word option.

The document now attached is the one saved directly from Outlook to my desktop. If you open it and scroll up and down on the 2nd COVER IV page, you will see the problem. The 'ghosting' effect which I mentioned earlier now occurs. Bizarre.

Even strange, if you now save the document to your hard drive, using the 'Save As' option in Word, then reopen the document you just saved, the 'ghosting' problem disappears.

Any ideas? I am at a complete loss. Thanks...

Chris
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

New one looks fine here. I think someone with XP needs to get into this thread.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just tested it on my Windows 2000 box at home, and the 'ghosting' problem is definitely there. If you get a chance, could you try it again?

The bit you need to scroll up and down on is on the 2nd page of the COVER IV section. The hidden text which appears then disappears starts as 'New World...'

Also, the hidden text can be read by double clicking within the Header of the COVER IV section.

Let me know how you get on [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My first thought is that this might relate to track changes as I see a style
    Patricia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

With Word 97, I had the problem you described until I turned off (or toggled) the "Don't balance SBCS characters and DBCS characters" option via Tools | Options | Compatibility. Does that help you?

I also experimented with language options other than "English (United States)" after reading the Microsoft article Q166016. Some seemed to work, if only momentarily, and I still don't know what SBCS and DBCS character are (and I think that I'd now like to know!).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

William,

Thanks for the reply. Rather bizarrely checking the 'Balance SBCS characters and DBCS characters' option in Word 2002 seems to rectify the problem. As soon as it is checked, all of the 'ghosting' text is displayed.

If anybody can shed some light on what this option is for (according to MS Help, it is something to do with Japanese characters??) I would appreciate it [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again William!

Chris