4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No Sales Tax on PO (2000/SR1)

I have created a Purchase Order template that calculates the total cost of all items and then figures a total. It works well, except for one problem. Occaisonally, I have PO that do not have sales tax, or it is included in the unit price. I have the sales tax cell set up for automatic calculation. How do I turn that off for selected PO's? Thanks for any help.

Thanks

Re: No Sales Tax on PO (2000/SR1)

I'm not the person to tell you exactly how to do this, but you can use an IF field code to make the result conditional. To indicate to your formula which entries are taxable, you could add a column where the default is T (taxable) but you can tell people selling nontaxable merchandise to clear out the T as needed. Would that approach work?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It might, and I tried to do something like it. I'm not exactly sure how to write the code to make it work. And, this may complicate it further, I am trying to do this with a document protected for forms, so that it is basically a fill in the blanks form for other users. I used a check box, default to check on and tried to get the sales tax field to look at it and decide whether it should calculate or not. It didn't work.

In the meantime, I used a fairly low tech approach, I now have 2 templates, one is PO with Sales Tax and the other is, can you guess??? PO without Sales Tax. Not a great solution but it works for now. Thanks for your help.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I think Word is a mess for this type of thing...have you avoided Excel for the PO for a reason?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Not fancy, but you'll get the idea (it's in Word 2000 and uses Excel inserted in the Document.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't thought this through completely, but it seems that if your template had an {ASK} field, in which you entered the sales tax, & a REF field that placed the result in a formula, you would get the desired result. If the sales tax is zero, then just enter 0. 0 times anything becomes 0, so you end up adding nothing to your final result. You could even choose to display it by using something like:

{IF {REF SalesTax}=0 "" "{REF SalesTax}"}

Cheers,

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Following on Phil's comment, see the attached Word doc with a table and inserted formulas. There's an ASK prompt which you'll see bookmarket in the top left corner. You'll need to have a AutoOpen macro to kick this in and update the fields. For now, you can see it working by manually doing the update (F9) on each field.
    Attached Files Attached Files