Thread: DLT on XP

New Lounger
    Thanks

DLT on XP

Hi There. I am looking for software that will enable me to back up data on a scheduled basis using a DLT drive on XP. Unfortunately the standard backup program that ships with XP is almost useless.! Veritas offer a product but for what I want it is simply too much to pay - $799 US! Can anyone help? Does anyone know of a piece of shareware or more economically priced software for this purpose? Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DLT on XP

Ultimatezip (ultimatezip.com) is free and has an automation option to set up a backup file which you can then put in Windows scheduler. If you don't need to zip a DOS batch file in scheduler will do the same thing
    Peter

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the tip, but I am looking for a piece of software to back up using a DLT drive. The software needs to be able to detect the drive and ultimatezip looks like it is very similar to WinZip. It will zip my files but I still can't access the DLT drive. Any more suggestions? Thanks for your help.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ultimatezip's autobackup will backup to any drive you can tell it. I don't have a DLT (tape?) but if it has a drive label (E:, F: ?) then UZ will do it automatically thro Windows scheduler.
    Peter

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Peter, but it has no drive label. A DLT is a bit like a tape drive back up in that it is not a part of the IDE structure and hence can't be seen in the drive explorer screen. The software I'm after detects the drive and allows you to write/read to it. Thanks for your help, This ones proving a bit hard. Any other suggestions?