New Lounger
    Thanks

Opening Excel Starts Dialup Internet Connection? (2000)

Every time I start Excel the MSN dial up internet connection starts. Why? Where in the settings can this be undone? None of my other Office 2000 programs do this.

Warren

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Opening Excel Starts Dialup Internet Connection? (2000)

I have never seen this problem myself so I am only guessing as to possible solutions. It could be due to either an add-in or a file that is automatically loaded at startup trying to access the internet.

To test for an add-in go to Tools>add-ins... and make a note of all of the add-ins currently loaded. Unselect them all and re-start excel. If this solves your problem then reselect the add-ins one by one until the problem restarts to identify the culprit.

To check for files automatically loaded at startup go to Tools>Options... and on the general tab see if anything is in the "At startup, open all files in:" input box. If this is not blank (for most users this box is empty) then check that directory for any files that may be causing your problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have checked and I do not have any addins or files listed on startup. Any other ideas?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Find a directory named XLStart on and see if it has anything in it. If it does, move the files in that directory to another directory (don't just rename them, move them out) and see if the problem still occurs. If not, move the files back one at a time until you find out which one is causing the problem.
    Legare Coleman

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you!!!! In XLStart was a PDFWriter.xla that was causing all the trouble. I don't know where it came from, but without it everything still works. Thanks to all responses.

Warren

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

PDFWrite.xla is a hidious add-in that shipped with one or other version of Acrobat. It has caused lots of Havoc to many people.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association