4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Screen Tip w/Macro (Win 98, Word97, SR 2)

Afternoon -

Created a macro, put it on a toolbar. I would like my shortcut key to appear when I hover over the macro

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Screen Tip w/Macro (Win 98, Word97, SR 2)

Since you already know how to add the macro as a button to a toolbar to launch your macro then I'll be brief:

You need to choose customize in the toolbar area, then select the button associated with your macro, and then click on the Modify Selection button in the Customize dialog box, this will bring up another dialog in which you can change the "Name" of the button --- which I assume should start with the "&" character to make it show the text when you hover over the button ---

change the text to some understandable representation of the hot-key.

Note that this WILL change the name that's displayed for the button so if you're displaying the TEXT of the button it will change that too --- I'm personally ignorant of anyway to only change the hover text.

See the following as an example of the default definition of the Bold button --- and note the Name field is currently &Bold --- I could make it "whatever".

Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

The secret is using VBA to change the TooltipText property of the control. This is an area in which a bit of caution is in order, because it can be difficult to find the right control.

Once you know which one it is, the code to change it can be found in this Lounge Classic, Post #79239. Please post any follow-up comments, questions, etc. in this thread.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you both so much for your posts.

I had done, and re-did, the creation/naming of the macro. I still cannot get any hovering (to show my hotkey assignment). The hotkey shows along w/the name -- (takes up too much room on toolbar).

I'm too much of a novice to try the macro...

Perhaps if I re-read the posts, something will 'click.'

Thank you both for your help.

Thanks

Oops, you start something "quick" and then, 5 hours later...

I started down a path to make a nice dialog interface for this and discovered all sorts of weird things about CommandBars and their controls. What's attached will handle toolbar buttons, but falls down on menus (maybe you don't need Tooltip Text for menus anyway).

To use this template effectively, unzip it somewhere convenient, and then use the Tools | Templates and Add-ins... dialog to add it as a global add-in. You then can run the Tooltipper macro and, in fact, it should add a little test toolbar on the third or fourth row of your toolbar area. If not, you can show it using View | Toolbars, or you can run the macro from the Macros dialog. It's mostly self-explanatory, but be sure to set the proper context in the drop-down at the top.

As with any half-baked code, please save all your real work before using it.

For those inclined to make improvements, I have the following issues:
    1. <LI>Why do toolbars associated with particular documents or templates show up when the CustomizationContext is Normal.dot? Do you think that the fact that this doesn't really work explain why MS puts this drop-down at the bottom of its dialogs?

<LI>Is there any way to prevent Word from adding the keyboard shortcut to a particular Tooltip? (You can toggle it globally in the interface, Tools | Customize... | Options tab, but I see no way to affect it otherwise.)

<LI>What is the most efficient way to alphabetize strings that contain the & accelerator key character?
    Feel free to tinker and give back. Have fun!
    Attached Files Attached Files

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson -

Thanks SO much for your continuing help w/this problem of mine.

Will try the template you attached.

Your reply is much appreciated.

Curious