5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Master Browser (XP pro)

Just installed a new PC w XP PRO on a 10-node peer-to-peer network. This is the only XP PC. The rest are 95, 98, 2k, running TCP/IP and Netbeui. Windows can see the file server and five other PCs, but not the rest. A colleague told me to look up Master Browser on the MS KB but can find nothing relevant. (Lots of stuff about WANs.) Searched this XP forum and found a similar post with a suggestion to check out Master Browser, but the victim said he could not find any reference to it. Any ideas?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Master Browser (XP pro)

The Master Browser is the computer on an NT network (with a domain controller, usually) that maintains a list of servers on the network. I strongly doubt that this is the problem. If no master browser is defined on the network, the NT based machines will force an election - it's all transparent and shouldn't affect you much.

Check to make sure that the systems are in the same workgroup. There has also been ongoing discussion in these boards regarding the use of NetBIOS - search the forums and see if anything is applicable to you.

Disable Simple File Sharing as well. Nice concept, but it causes problems. It's in Tools - Folder Options on the View tab. In a networked situation it will prevent XP from seeing other PCs and likewise.

This link may also be of interest and assistance: Windows XP Professional File Sharing.
    -Mark

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Remember that peer 2 peer is maybe good up to 10 nodes. Some where I heard or read during beta that XP was good for 5 nodes on a p2p, and pushing more may not work. I may be wrong, but, nodes is pushing the p2p design.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the very useful post and link. I disabled Simple File sharing and gave all users an account on the XP machine and also allowed blank passwords (for now) because no one uses them now. Partial success. All but 3 PCs can see XP and its printer (hooray). The 3 "blind" PCs are all running Win98. The others are running Win95, except for the Win98 file server. The XP can see and be seen by all Win95s. The XP can not access the Win98s, except for the Win98 dedicated file and mail server, which it sees just fine. I even tried disconnecting two 95s to see if there was a network limit in play. No luck.