Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Not enough memory to run

I have a customer having a laptop Lifetec with Windows ME 4.90.3000, dutch version.
    At every startup of the pc he get a message :
    Not enough memory to run program XPUF3A.EXE. (free translation from dutch message)
    Every other startup it is another program. Can be JCA31C3.EXE or ETH5116.EXE, or even what. I think the name is random.
    The programs are not on the pc.
    I run MSCONFIG and see nothing special.
    Norton Antivirus detect no virus;
    Can some one give me a clue ?
    Francois

Thanks

Re: Not enough memory to run

The random names are highly suspicious and I would be inclined to fear a virus infection.

The fact that Norton failed to find anything is not conclusive - virus scanners work best as preventative measures rather than cures as the virus can disable them once a machine has been infected.
    Considering the speed at which it has spread, the Klez virus has got to be the prime contender - many who thought that updating their virus definitions once a week good enough have been caught.
    There is a fairly good breakdown of it here at viruslist.com which also lists the av software it disables.

Having said that, I can not immediately find evidence that Klez causes the symptoms you describe, but can find it relating to older virus activity.

(One other likely contender is the KakWorm virus - but this reputedly only runs on English and French versions.)

Things to try:
    Disable the startup propgrams shown in MSConfig then enable them one at a time to see if you can isolate anything.
    Check the Programs > Startup folder and move anything from it to another folder, then re-introduce them one at a time.
    Run an online virus scanner such as the free one shown on the menu bar when viewing the list of threads in this forum.

Thanks

Just came across this where random name .exe files are mentioned - look for "Exploit.IIS.Beavuh".

Another place to check would be the registry - check what is listed under:
    HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRun

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks a million Leif.
    It was the Klez virus and the link you gave, had the utility to remove it.
    Now I had to convince the user of the necessity of Anti virus software and to update the definitions.
    Why did so many people wait to be beaten before they think of protecting themself ?
    Francois