Lounger
    Thanks

DSL Modem with USB connection

Is it possible (i.e., is hardware available) to do a wireless network that can share a DSL connection when the DSL modem is connected to the computer via USB? All the access points/routers I have seen require an RJ-45 connection.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DSL Modem with USB connection

I seriously doubt it, but a DSL modem that talks ethernet to an RJ-45 line isn't expensive. Then all you'd need is a wireless cable/DSL router (and cards for the individual computers) and your good to go.

Unless someone now makes a wireless cable/DSL router with a USB modem input. Haunt stores like Best Buy and Circuit City.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have a USB DSL Modem setup which may be similar to what you are after. The DSL connects directly into my main computer, then I installed an additional network card into this computer. This connects into a small 8-port Ethernet hub. I turned on Internet Connection Sharing on the DSL computer, so any computer plugged into the Ethernet hub also has access to the DSL connection, routed through the main computer. My setup is hard-wired (10Base-T), but I see no reason why you couldn't do the same thing with wireless NICs and a wireless access point in place of the hub.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I saw yor answer on 06/02 and was wondering how you had your network set up. I have a win 2000 as my host and win xp as the client, but they don't get on the net. They can see each ither and I can transfer files between the two.?. I'm using analogx, what is your take on that?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Does the Vigor 2200 do what you want?

StuartR

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks StuartR. The Vigor 2200 is not a wireless product and the Vigor wireless product does not support USB connections. However, I might be able to use the 2200 as a bridge type device to a wireless access point. This complicates the setup, but may be the only present alternative.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

RE: ASUS 6030VI

I understand that this modem is being discontinued. Does anyone know why and what would be an equivalent i.e wireless ADSL modem/router plus an access point? Thanks,