Star Lounger
    Thanks

Easy Shared Calendars in Ooutlook XP (2002/sr1)

We are using Net Folders in Office 98 to shared calendars among 10 users as editors. Having the calendars included in the folder lists makes it easy to view or change another's calendar. Office 2002 with Exchange Server seems clumsy in comparison -- the user must chase through menu picks and fill in a name to get to the other's calendar. Is there an easier way?

Does it make sense to have everyone move there calendar to Public Folders? Will the calendar owner still have all the normal use of the calendar with reminders, etc.?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Easy Shared Calendars in Ooutlook XP (2002/sr1)

You indicate you're on OLXP. Have you checked out the new group calendar? Click on your calendar and you'll see the menu option for it. There are some inexpensive group schedule tools available. Check out http://www.slipstick.com

Public folders probably won't do what you want. There's no alarm and accepting a meeting request won't place an appointment there. Etc., etc.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

if it's a calendar they use often they can add to to the outlook bar or put it in their profile and will see it in the folder view.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Could you please describe how one add's someone else's calendar into their profile without adding the rest of the other user's mailbox. I don't know how to do this, but it sounds like what I want.

Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I was not aware that you could look at the calendar detail with group schedules. I thought it was just free/busy for scheduling meetings. I will check this out.

New Lounger
    Thanks

This may be a related issue. Using Outlook 97 or 98 or 2000 we can view other's calendars directly while creating a meeting by right clicking on the bar that shows them as busy. One then gets a short clue as to what they are scheduled for if they have given others permission to do this before hand.

As you might guess, we cannot do that in Outlook XP SP1. Is there some setting that one needs to change in order for me to view other's calendars directly while creating a meeting?

TIA

Richard

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

are they publishing their free/busy information? do you see their free/busy informaton or just not the details of it?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The OldDog knew newer tricks than I did -- see above.

With Outlook 2002 and Exchange you can use the schedules button while viewing your calendar. You can then view free/busy information for group(s) of people. Depending on the permissions that they have granted you on their calendar(s), you can then view details for individuals in the group.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Their free busy info is published. I can see it from any Outlook client but OLXP.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmm... i thought i answered this before. Tools | email accouts, work your way through the options to edit or change accounts and open the exchange server account properties. on the second or third tab, add additional mailboxes. as long as they only allowed you to see the calendar, that's all you'll see.

you can give others permission to see your clanedar this way from the delegates tab in tools |options.