Thread: Ping too high

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ping too high

.Sorry folks, but I`m back again to beg for help. I am a novice with no source of help. I thought I`d won the Lottery when I discovered Woody`s Lounge, but I am keen to learn.I thought my Internet was running too slow, so I had a diagnostic done on-line and was told that my Ping was too high (well over 200) and that I should change MTU to 1500. I know what Ping is but not MTU. Facts are..... New Laptop running XP Home. Home network but am not Host. Connections all running fine. Have Norton Firewall which is working OK. Read in this Forum that I should disable XP Firewall, but used Help and Support to find it and cannot locate it anywhere. Cannot find the Tab in question to see if it is enabled or not. Honestly the Tab just is not there! Anyhow, can anyone please tell me how to reduce my Ping, and how to change the MTU (Best you should know that this is a foreign language to me, so please bear that in mind) My connection is Cable Broaband , LAN (300 up and down supposedly) I`m bound to have missed out the most important information, but I hope this is enough, and that you don`t ask me any technical questions.I envy you your knowledge and will be most grateful for any advice offered. Thank you.
    P.S. In case you are wondering there are 2 others in my Home Network. One is as well-informed as I am, and the one who set it up is working abroad for a while and is unable to help me.

Thanks

Re: Ping too high

I'm curious about this ping test you ran. Who was pinging whom, or what? Your firewall should not allow your computer to respond to ping packets from strangers...

To get a sense of the throughput of a cable or DSL connection, visit the 2Wire Bandwidth Meter. That should give us a sense of whether you are getting what you're paying for!

I ran a search for ping MTU in Google, and found this page: Maximum Transmission Unit - MTU. I have no idea whether this really is useful information, but I offer it for your review.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Ping too high

Thanks for quick reply. I discovered the Ping problem when I visited Pitstop for a check-up. It was just one of a comprehensive list of tests. Just been to 2 Wire Bandwidth Meter. Ran the test 3 times. Results...459, 511 and 480. I think I was expecting 300 so this seems to be VG. Visited your other recommendation and it is way over my head .There are a few programs there about MTU which are probably what I need, but they seem to involve tampering with the Registry. With my level of knowledge I avoid this like the plague.I think I will have to leave the MTU alone. Hope this helps you more than it helps me.Many thanks for your interest and help.