Lounger
    Thanks

Creating Boot Disk (XP PRO)

I am trying to upgrade the BIOS for my ABIT KT7 Mainboard. The goal is to enable my system to recognize a newer 20GB/7200/ATA100 WD Hard Drive. I have been told that I need to upgrade my BIOS to the latest version. I have the newest BIOS and need to have a boot disk to boot into DOS and Flash it. I have gone into Windows Explorer and created a boot disk and copied the needed files (Awardflash.exe, and KT7_7N.BIN) on to it. My problem is when I reboot. I keep getting the dreaded "I/O error. Disk in Drive A is not a system disk. replace disk and hit 'Any Key'."

Firstly, what did I do wrong when I created the disk? I followed the directions that windows gave me.
    Secondly, do I have to use a boot disk for XP or can I use a Win98 boot disk?
    Lastly, Where do I go from here?

Help!

Big_DIV

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Creating Boot Disk (XP PRO)

To update BIOS, you need ANY bootable floppy. You can use your Win98 boot disk, or create another bootable diskette under WinXP (probably your disk was not formatted properly).
    You can even copy your BIOS Flash ROM files on any floppy, boot your computer from bootable floppy, swap floppies and run BIOS upgrade.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Are you formatting the disk you're using on the same PC that is giving you the error message? In my experience that usually means a) misaligned floppy drive heads or [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] a bad floppy (they just don't last).

Really all you need is a fershly formatted floppy that you know is good, containing COMMAND.COM and the flash utility to update your BIOS. Oh yeah, and the BIOS image too.

Try opening a DOS prompt and typing SYS A: - you should see a message indicating "system transferred." Don't think that works under ME or XP, but it does from any other Win9x system.
    -Mark

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info...I'll give it a try tonight and will let you know. I'm not sure if the disk is bad though, because I can access the information on it, but we'll see.

Thanks again.