New Lounger
    Thanks

Splitting Database to SQL server 7 (Access 97)

I am trying to split my database - I would like the back end to go on SQL Server. When I run the database splitter wizard however, my only option is to save the table as a .mdb file. How can I store the tables on the SQL server instead?

Any ideas welcome

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Splitting Database to SQL server 7 (Access 97)

AFAIK, the wizard in Access 97 doesn't handle splitting to a SQL Server backend; this was introduced in Access 2000.

I'm afraid you'll either have to upgrade, or do it all manually.

But perhaps somebody else knows of a third-party utility for Access 97 that accomplishes what you want.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Access 97 has (or had) something called the Upsizing Wizard that you could download from the web, and will effectively split your database by moving tables to SQL Server. The Database Splitter Wizard will only create .mdb files for you as you discovered. There are a few issues that you will need to deal with if you upsize to SQL Server. One is that relational integrity that has been defined in Access 97 doesn't really migrate to SQL Server 7, so you will need to do some things with SQL Server after you upsize, either with triggers or DRI. Another is that indexes don't always get upsized properly with the wizard, so you will need to check them. Also, occasionally for some reason the wizard will fail to upsize a particular table. Hope this helps.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The Upsizing Wizard is not included in Office 97. You can still download it from here, I believe.