Lounger
    Thanks

Page setup in sections (Word 2002)

Anyone else have this problem:

Being from an alien planet (the UK), I use A4 paper rather than the Letter size common in Redmond and neighbourhood. But I frequently receive or download documents formatted for US Letter size. Complex documents such as reports with tables and statistics often have several sections, and alternate between portrait and landscape paper orientation.

I have long thought that Sections are a pretty flaky feature of Word (especially the headers & footers aspect and the infuriating tricks of 'same as previous section'), but they seem to have got worse in XP/2002.

In theory, according to the File - PageSetup dialog, you can apply different paper size, orientation and margins to the current section/selected sections; to 'this point forward'; or to ' whole document'. In practice these choices simply don't work. To switch a multi-section document from US Letter to A4 paper, you have to laboriously move through the document, changing the Page-Setup of each section in turn. What's worse is that in apparently random fashion Word will announce that your margins are now outside the printable area and offer to fix them for you. 'Fixing' invariably sets a ludicrously large left-margin and shoves half the text off the right-hand edge of the paper. If you decline to fix, you are likely to find that some of your pages print with approximately the bottom third truncated (although they appear o.k. on screen and in print layout and preview modes). Sometimes I find that the only remedy is to split the document up into multiple small documents of one section each. I am printing to an HP Laserjet using the PCL 6 driver.

It's driving me nuts. Is it just me, or is this a bug?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Page setup in sections (Word 2002)

i think you may have two separate issues here.

1. margin issues. using HP4000 and HP4050 printers and the PCL5e and PCL6 drivers on Windows 2000 workstations, we also had problems with Word randomly getting the wrong margin setting for some documents where it failed to print the bottom 3" of portrait documents or the left 3" of landscaped documents. our printer environment had been set up with server-side printing (point and print through NT servers); we were unable to determine the cause of the errors but we did change our printer configuration to IP printing and the errors stopped. (incidentally, we also had problems printing Outlook items in landscape mode until we changed our printer configuration).

2. paper type issues. on changing the paper type in each section, i don't have XP but you could write a macro that would set the paper type for each section in a given document.

Dim aSec As Section
    For Each aSec In ActiveDocument.Sections
    aSec.PageSetup.PaperSize = wdPaperA4
    Next

If you don't know what to do with this code, from the menus, select Tools|Macro|Macros... In the ensuing dialog box, enter a one-word name for the macro and click the "Create" button. Copy and paste the info above (paste it between the lines that begin "Sub" and "End Sub" then select File | Close and Return to Microsoft Word. To activate the macro, go back to Tools|Macro|Macros..., find the macro name and play it. (You can also assign the macro to the menus or a keyboard shortcut if you wish.)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You may already know about this, but there's an "Allow A4/Letter paper resizing" option that's available (in Word 97) via Tools | Options | Print. According to the context-sensitive help it's only relevant for printing, but for that purpose it's always worked for me (using the same printer and driver as you use).

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. However IP printing isn't an option, I think, without purchasing extra hardware as I'm printing from a parallel port. Your macro is helpful to save effort, but doesn't explain why Word's dialog box actions don't work.

Although this does seem to be in part a Laserjet specific problem, I still think it's a bug in Word. How's this for odd? It seems to happen to the pages of a portrait section which follow a landscape section. If I print the whole document, the pages of each of these portrait sections will usually (but not always) be truncated. If I then move through the document to the specific pages and print them separately and singly using Print-Current Page, they usually (but not always) print correctly.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have a solution to your problem, but wanted to acknowledge Hubert_NY's reponse. I have a post on the HP Forums that asks the same kind of question. My user has a brand new Dell Optilplex running WinXP and Office XP (SP1) and cannot print consistently well to an HP 8550n Color LaserJet. The HP Forum is full of these kinds of complaints affecting nearly every model of their LaserJet line. Microsoft's newsgroup has several postings as well. Both companies are completely silent on the issue even though they have been asked to step in. The printing issue is most definitely some conflict between Word 2002 and the LaserJet line, but does not affect every user. Every affected user, however, sees the same symptoms, left margin pushed at least 3" and bottom margin pushed to 2.67" (if "Fix margins" is chosen) or the bottom 2.67 inches truncated in the print job.
    Any 'softies in here want to comment or offer a resolution? Any HP reps? Anyone? Anyone?