Star Lounger
    Thanks

Data Dropping (2000)

Hi, can anyone offer any light as to why data, when typed into a database form intermittently "disappears" from the screen and is dropped? Have also experienced problems appending data (some data appended and some not within the same field - successful on later attempt with same append query). I thought this might be a problem with the hub as the user had added several machines to a small hub, but this problem is still happening intermittently. I'm stumped.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Data Dropping (2000)

We are going to need more details about your situation to be able to help much. For example, is this a single user database, or are multiple users entering data simultaneously? Is the database split into a front-end and a back-end? If so, is the back-end also an Access database, or are you using some other data storage product? What OS are the workstations (and any server) running?
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Wendell, thanks for your reply. Database is sitting on a server with about 8 user stations all running Access 2000 over Windows 2000. All 8 may enter simultaneously. Database has a front-end and back-end, both on the same server, both Access 2000 (used database splitter). Would be grateful for any help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>some data appended and some not within the same field<hr>
    Can you explain what you mean by this? You should only have one datum per field, so what constitutes "some not"?
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, this was odd - what happened was - I set up an append query appending values to a field in a table of exactly the same structure/set up within another database. Say I had a,b,c,d,e,f going into fields 1,2,3,4,5 6 - what I actually got was a c e f - in other words the append worked correctly but some data was simply dropped. I had never seen this happen before, Charlotte. A second attempt, exactly the same set-up worked correctly, so I was even more confused.... Any ideas?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Ok, with that info a couple of scenarios come to mind. One possibility is that the database is corrupted and thus just plain flakey - by chance are any of the fields memo fields? Another possibility is some sort of race condition ocurring with two different events running at the same time - if you don't have much code then that seems unlikely. I guess the third possibility is the network problem you alluded to in your initial post. Can you duplicate the problem on the server - i.e. by putting a copy of the front-end on the server and then running your append query? If so that would eliminate the network as a suspect. If not, that makes the network all the more suspect. Hope this gives you some ideas of things to look for.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wendell - possibility that the original design master database is corrupted - it is so large that there is not enough space to compact and repair it. Original append query was coming from that db to its new replacement, however, as I said, reattempting it worked. One field being appended was a memo field, but it was a text field which dropped data.

Job as a whole has been to redesign a database around a synchronised design master original which frequently didn't work, and gave a lot of problems. Design is complex, undocumented and written by someone we cannot now get our hands on. Have been using as much of the original (object) design as possible (to save money of course!).

Since moving to the new database the append corruption has not reoccured, however the occasional "data drop" does. User types in a record and it disappears before their eyes. I think that the network is at fault, but problem has occured since larger hub put in place. The network has always been incredibly slow. Unfortunately hardware issues are not my forte, and I am unsure what to advise. There are also some odd printing flaws across their network laser printer which I cannot duplicate on a copy at home using a good old bubble jet. Can you offer any suggestions as to what might be wrong with the network. Much appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You just said a magic word - "Design Master" - so I presume that means the original database was replicated. If you are having problems with your network and also trying to use replication, that's a recipe for disaster. It's also hard to believe that the original cannot be compacted and repaired - the maximum size for an Access MDB file is 2GB, but I would hope you aren't close to that.

As to what you are trying to do, there are lots of pitfalls. I presume you are trying to remove the replication part of the database - if you haven't done so yet, take a look at the MS knowledge base on how to do so. It is not a trivial exercise - several months ago I spent an entire day reworking a database that had been setup with replication to try to solve a sneaker network problem without installing a LAN!

I would guess that your network is at the heart of your troubles, but I'm not much of a network expert - you should probably bring in an expert with tools such as sniffers and see what's really going on. It will cost you a bit of funds up front, but will save you tons more in the long run.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

yes, the previous design master database had replicas on remote p.c.s, which they were then synchronising using zip drives.............. The new database, however, has no element of replication left in it - the only things which have been copied are objects such as forms and reports, in which the odd design flaw does rear their ugly heads. I know that the max size is 2 GB - the original is about 800k, but simply will not compact or repair - "not enough memory" is quoted from the system. The new database is unreplicated and is a fraction of this size, and compacts fine. Many thanks for help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I would caution you if you haven't used the Tech Net article that tells you how to remove replication that you probably have some bits and pieces of it hanging around. It puts things called GUIDs in tables and they are not normally visible unless you set your options to see system level objects. There are also several replication tables which you probably wouldn't get, but there are some replication IDs that get associated with things like queries, forms and reports (and even code) that aren't normally visible. You may have managed to get rid of all of it, but I would heartily recomment reading the Tech Net article never the less.

BTW, did you mean 800k or 800MB in size for the original database?
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wendell, new database was created from scratch, slightly different design - only fields required appended, so Guids etc. not transferred, only data on a field=field basis. Should this be alright? Size was 800kb, and wouldn't compact/repair over the system. Thanks for help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

OK - if you created new DB from scratch, didn't import tables, and ran append queries to populate the data then you should be OK there. How about forms, reports etc. Were they also created from scratch? If so, then you should be OK all around. Since your size was only 800kb, then the error message you were getting with the replicated version was apparently a bogus one. 800kb is a pretty small - nearly all databases we work with are several MB, and I've seen them as large as several 100 MB. It sounds as if the database must have been corrupt to the point where the repair didn't work. FYI, there is a utility available from MS that will sometimes repair a database that fails with the built-in tools - I've had it work successfully once or twice, though more often than not it won't fix the problem either. Anyhow, that seems to return us to suspecting that the network is somehow messing up - I'm afraid that will require a network expert on-site.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just searching for something else and noticed this - reminds me of similar sounding problems I had last year.

Do you, by any chance, use a type of network storage called 'NAS'? If so, that's your problem (I can explain more if necessary), if not, then I've no idea...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I think you should have replied to M.Robb, not to me - but I would hope he has solved his problem of almost a year ago.
    Wendell