3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Blue screen with ARP1394.SYS

Just started having a blue screen (ugh) on startup caused by the file ARP1394.SYS - but the blue screen merely goes away when pressing enter and no reboot. Search of the knowledge base seems to indicate a firewire problem, but the only thing that has changed lately on my system is that I stopped using Outpost for a firewall and re-installed zone alarm..
    Any ideas??

Bob

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Blue screen with ARP1394.SYS

Have you tried removing ZoneAlarm to see if the problem goes away with it? ARP1394.SYS is a firewire/IEEE 1394 system driver.

You might also consider updating the drivers for your IEEE 1394 connection.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mark,
    Unbelievable - I've uninstalled Zone Alarm (again) and restarted Outpost - that BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) went away..
    Now whatever does Zone Alarm have to do with a firewire driver? I don't know - but at one time I did have zone alarm running just fine on this ME system ..
    Unbelievable - but I should have known better..

Bob

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Bob, glad that was the solution. The reason that ZA caused you grief is likely because it considers FireWire a network connection, and thus hooks in at that low level.

My own experience with ZA has been a mixed bag, much like your experience. It can be a little rough around the edges and seems to have a few quirks that I continually run into - but having not tried Outpost yet, it's still the best tool I have for a software firewall.

You also didn't specify which version of ZoneAlarm you were using, and the problem may be resolved in a point release. I seem to recall that there was a recent update to ZA but no word on what was changed/fixed.

And I too, once had ZoneAlarm running just fine on the PC I am using to reply to your post with - and then one day, it started acting stupid, and hasn't been on here since!
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark, I was using zonealarm 2.6.1a (came out in December 01) and it had been working just fine - until I uninstalled it and then reinstalled (using the same settings).
    [on soap-box mode]
    I've been using Agnitum's Outpost (free version) for about a month and it was working just fine (but is more complex to configure). Here is a comparison chart for most firewalls: Outpost Comaprison Chart. What struck me was that the free version also 'did' ads and cookies.
    [off soap-box mode]

Bob