Thread: Freeze Panes

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Freeze Panes

Hi,

I am trying to format my worksheet in such a way so that Column 1 will be shown even if I scroll right. I tried using Freeze Panes, but I get a split that does not make sense, ie, the cells that I have highlighted and wish to keep frozen are not being frozen.

Could anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Hanan.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Freeze Panes

To freeze column A, select the single cell B1 and then select "Freeze Panes" from the Window menu. Freeze Panes freezes all columns to the left of the selected cell and all rows above the selected cell. So, if you want to freeze Column A and Row 1, then select cell B2 and choose Window/Freeze Panes.
    Legare Coleman

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

To freeze panes so that, for example, column A and Row 1 remain in view despite scrolling, you need to place the cursor in Cell B2 and then select Freeze Panes

Hope this helps

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The other two gentlemen have explained how it works, plus:

1. a vertical split freezes items to it's left from scrolling across the page (left to right), but does not freeze them vertically (up & down). A horizontal split using rows does exactly the opposite.

2. To freeze only columns A & B, with no rows frozen, ensure columns A & B are visible, select the entire column C, and perform the split (menu or icon). Rows-only freeze works the same by selecting the entire row. (To select the entire column, click the column letter; for rows, click the row number.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS