Thread: SR 1 & SR 2

Star Lounger
    Thanks

SR 1 & SR 2

Hi to all,
    I was referred to you by Peter Crocket of the 'puter Geek web site. I ONLY have Word 97 installed on my home machine which I'm running Win 98 as my OS. I was browsing MS update site and saw where they had SR1 & SR2 available on a CD, so I called and ordered one since my copy of Word is at base level. After I received the CD I looked to see what Version the SRs were. I found SR1 being SR1of97z.exe and SR2aof97.exe. It also has the Valupak on it with all the goodies on it as well. Woody mentioned sr2bot97.exe was the one to load so this brought up ??? in my mind.

What my question is, since I just have Word 97 loaded would you guys recommend I do the Updates to it? I saw where some users with Win98 as their OS are having problems with SR1. Right now my machine is working perfect and I sure don't want to do anything to mess it up. I'm also was concerned that the SR2 version number didn't match the one Woody recommend loading. Please let me know what you guys would do and if I would be gaining anything from installing *this* Update Version of SR1 & SR2. The guy I spoke to at MS told me that only the programs that pertain to Word 97 will load on my machine, BUT he didn't sound too convincing! ;-) Do you agree with him? I would really appreciate any light you can shed on this for me and I will do exactly as you all advise me. The reason I feel so confident in what you'll tell me is that Peter Crocket aka 'puter Geek told me that Woody's Lounge is the place if I had ANY questions at all on Word 97 that you guys knew Office inside and out! Thanks for any insight anyone can give me on this issue.

Regards,
    JeffT

Thanks

Re: SR 1 & SR 2

Since no one else has responded, I will.

I haven't used Word as a stand-alone product for years so my answer is based on theory and hearsay rather than experience. One thing I do know is that Word, with out those SRs, doesn't work right.

Those with Word standing alone that I've talked to about this haven't had any problems because of applying the SRs.

You could backup your registry and then install them, in order.

You might also want to check with the Microsoft public newsgroups. You can get a listing of many of them on my webresources page at:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#webnewsgroups>http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordwebreso...m#webnewsgroups</A>
    I would particularly recommend posting to the application errors and the office update groups. If you do this, post one message with both newsgroups in the header.
    See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/netiquette.htm>http://www.addbalance.com/word/netiquette.htm</A> for posting suggestions.

Hope this helps.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If it is correct that "right now my machine is working perfect" then I would stay with that one. Whats the point to going looking for trouble? For the same reason, if your machine does everything you want from it - why upgrade.

I only load a SR when it has a bug fix I want. Doing otherwise might put hairs on your chest but they sure won't stay on your head for long.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Jeff,

Greetings from a namesake who spells "Geoff" in the old English style (as we do in Australia and England).

Regardless of Peter Crockett's rap, we're not geeks who know the answers.

Speaking for myself, I hang around here because I can get answers as well as giving answers. I'm an inexperienced Word/Excel/VBA user with some knowledge which appears to be of help to some- and I can get help in return.

O97 SR2? I'm not sure if you have the right one. If it is, I would definitely recommend it. It has been stable, and corrects a number of problems. One problem I had was the "recalc" bug in Excel- that caused my hours to be undercharged without me realising. In that circumstance, SR2 is definitely worth it.

Have a look at the Woody's archives- click on the "W*W archivwes" at the bottom on the page. There's lots about SR2 there.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Andrew,
    Thank you kindly for your input. What I heard was there are bugs in Word 97 that SR 1 & SR2 fix, but I sure haven't found them yet. I have done ALL of MS Windows 98 Updates (sound of knocking on wood!) to my OS and have had VERY good luck with them all working very well. I was hoping that someone on this list could tell me what SR 1&2 are supposed to actually "FIX" in Word 97 because I'm not seeing it do anything wrong. Thanks again for the reply.

JeffT.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the tip Geoff. I'll check out Woody's archives.

Regards,
    JeffT.

BAM

Hi Jeff,

Hi Jeff,

Office 97 SR1 and SR2 fixed a great deal of bugs. There is also an additional Post Service Release for Word 97 that fixes about 50 additional bugs. It is a combination of several patches and fixes such as the Mail Merge Security Update, Leap Year Update, and the ODMA Update.

So far I have not heard of any repercussions from installing these Service Releases. Now I have heard of some problems with Office 2000 SR1 and SP2 - could that be what you heard as well?

Personally, I have all of the patches installed on my home computer and at work. I haven

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Jeff,

One thing which Word 97 SR2 and Office 2000 SR1 fixes is a bug which incorrectly displays the "Page 1 of x". Incredibly, a bug which was "fixed" by SR-2 was reintroduced in Word 2000.

Excel had a bug which meant that sometimes, cells did not get calculated. I had my timesheet in Excel. I found that on one occasion (that I'm aware of) it did not add all my hours. Ouch. That bug was fixed by SR-2.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

BAM,
    Thank you VERY much! Your post covered all my questions and more! I wasn't even aware of the SR3 addition. After seeing how many bugs Word 97 has in it at the Microsoft site you sent me for the SR3 patch I'm definitely going to install the SR1 & SR2 patches, then install SR3. I really appreciate the help, that was very nice of you.

Regards,
    JeffT.

BAM

Hi Geoff,

Yes it does sound strange...

The "scoop" on Page x of Y is that it isn't the same fix as the one in Office 2000 SR1.

The Page X of Y bug fixed in the Post Service Release for Word (aka SR3) only fixed Page X of Y when printing. It did not correct the Page X of Y screen display problem.

Office 2000 SR1 corrected both.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!