New Lounger
    Thanks

TOC format changes from Word 2000 --> 2002 (2002)

Hello Wordies,

I have a small formatting problem that is driving me crazy. I have a Heading 1 style which combines two different font sizes: a large 28 pt number followed by smaller 16 pt text. In Word 2000 it was all counted as Heading 1, and I got the two different font sizes in my automatically generated TOC. In Word 2002, the TOC entry is just one size. This actually makes sense to me, but I'd prefer that it worked how it used to.

Any ideas to accomplish a large number followed by smaller text in a single line of the TOC?

thanks,

Tom Martin

Thanks

Re: TOC format changes from Word 2000 --> 2002 (2002)

<P ID="edit" class=small>Edited by jscher2000 on 15-May-02 17:20.</P>Sorry, this is incorrect. Word 2000 seems to be ignoring the * MERGEFORMAT switch. Never mind.

In Word 2000, whether it works is determined by whether there is a * MERGEFORMAT switch in the TOC field. If the switch is there, TOC styles override Heading styles. Is Word 2002 adding the switch when Word 2000 wasn't, or does the field itself work differently?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Tom:
    The selections in the TOC are based on the style for TOC1, TOC2, etc. I'm curious as to how you got two different fonts automatically, unless you applied bullets & numbering to your TOC itself.

Could you post a document that contains the styles that you say worked in Word 2000. I will let you know if I discover anything by examining it.

Cheers,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi -

It's very easy to recreate. The attached file was created in Word 2000. I simply highlighted part of the Heading 1 and increased the font. When you create the TOC, this mixed font is carried through. If you opent the file in Word 2002 and update the field, the mixed font is lost. I haven't been able to get the effect in 2002.

Tom
    Attached Files Attached Files

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm having a related problem with Word 2000.

I've created a document using Word Styles for the various headings. The TOC is based on the headings -- Heading 1 is picked up by TOC level 1, Heading 2 is picked up by TOC level 2, et cetera. Captions also are picked up by TOC level 2.

In the document, Heading 1 is set in 18 pt type. The TOC correctly displays the related entry in 12 pt type. Some Captions are set in 14 pt type, others in 12 pt. When they roll up to the TOC, the ones that were in 14 pt type in the document show up in 14 pt type in the TOC as well. I keep resetting various things to 12 pt type.... but Word is determined to display them in the same font size in the TOC that they were in the document.

This ONLY happens on the ones set in "Caption" style. Heading 1, Heading 2 and so on all appear correctly.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Don

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have two different Caption styles, with different font sizes? My guess is that you only have a single Caption style and you are using manual formatting to change the font size. This manual formatting gets copied to the TOC along with the text.

There was a discussion of a similar issue in the replies to post 120574. In that case the opposite behaviour was wanted! The use of the h switch in the { TOC } field seems to change the behaviour and may be worth trying.

StuartR

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Tom:
    OK, I see what you did in Word 2000. You applied direct formatting to the number. I had thought it was a numbered heading style. In any event, direct formatting to heading styles follows through to the TOC, but heading style definitions don't. I don't have 2002 to check, but I did notice that there is a patch for XP.

I haven't read anything about the patch, so you might want to check up on it first. See if Woody wrote anything in WOW about it. You can get some info on the patch here.

Cheers,